Posted to user@giraph.apache.org by Martin Neumann <mn...@spotify.com> on 2014/02/17 13:07:24 UTC

debugging graph-programs

Hej,

I find Giraph programs quite difficult to debug (all I have is log outputs).
Anyone has some hints for debugging tools or coding practices to make it
simpler?

I'm using Giraph 1.1.0 trunk on YARN so I can't use Map/Reduce debugging
aids (at least I think so, I haven't tried any)

cheers
Martin

Re: debugging graph-programs

Posted by Lukas Nalezenec <lu...@firma.seznam.cz>.
Hi,
My two small hints are:

1. Dont use Giraph without memory profiler (Eclipse MAT).
2. Write unit tests.

Lukas

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hi Martin,

There is no need to install ZooKeeper to use InternalVertexRunner. It
will also use the input and output formats specified.

InternalVertexRunner writes your input data to disk and starts ZooKeeper
and Giraph locally in a single VM.

It is very easy to use, I suggest to look at the following class for an
example:

org.apache.giraph.examples.ConnectedComponentsComputationTest#testToyData

Best,
Sebastian

Posted by Martin Neumann <mn...@spotify.com>.

Posted by Lukas Nalezenec <lu...@firma.seznam.cz>.
Hi,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Well, then you should really use this approach:
     https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=giraph.git;a=blob;f=giraph-examples/src/test/java/org/apache/giraph/examples/SimpleShortestPathsComputationTest.java;h=dc6c84aeda01283c5d29d2787e89fa01fbe65241;hb=HEAD#l114

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Martin Neumann <mn...@spotify.com>.

Posted by Lukas Nalezenec <lu...@firma.seznam.cz>.