Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by IL GON KIM <ik...@irisa.fr> on 2006/03/14 14:24:02 UTC

Question about WS-Security

I am studying on WS-Security and have a question about it.
As far as I understand it, WS-Security defines security elements in
header part of the SOAP messages, by combining WS-Signature and
WS-Encryption standards.

I think it is possible to define security elements in body part of the
SOAP message, not in header part.
In my opinon, there would be a reason why security elment is described
in header part in WS-Security.

If there is anyone who knows this reason or trade-off between two
approaches, please give me your opinion.

Regards
Il-Gon Kim

Re: Question about WS-Security

Posted by Tech Rams <te...@yahoo.com>.
You will have to look at the feasibility of putting
everything in the body as well as achieving SOAP
intermediary functionality.
WS-Security is an elegant and generalized solution.
The concept of security tokens pertains to username ,
X.509, or SAML tokens. For encryption, having
EncryptedKey separate from EncryptedData is also an
elegant and required feature. For Signature also,
having signature separate from content makes sense.
And think of what you can do once you have separated
out tokens, EncryptedKey, and Signature - you can
perform operations on them without damaging the
original content - for example, you can sign the
tokens, or encrypt them - tokens can be referred to in
encryption or signatures - all these offer the
advantages of brevity that you claim can be achieved
by putting things directly in the body!

And, of course, you still have to address SOAP
intermediary functionality even if you have achieved
elegance and generalization.

-rams

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Question about WS-Security

Posted by IL GON KIM <ik...@irisa.fr>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

>my 2 cents, whatever is in the soap body is destined for the
>application that consumes/needs the soap request/response. the header
>is a location where intermediate nodes or the soap engine(s) at the
>end can add custom information independent of the application that
>sends/receives the soap request/response.
>
>-- dims

Thanks for your good opinion.

I agree with your idea that header where any supplementary information
such as address and id/passwd is generally located .
So, I think this might be one reason why security element is included in
header part of SOAP messages, in WS-Security.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by William Bathurst <wi...@oracle.com>.
IL GON KIM wrote:

> I am studying on WS-Security and have a question about it.
> As far as I understand it, WS-Security defines security elements in
> header part of the SOAP messages, by combining WS-Signature and
> WS-Encryption standards.
>
> I think it is possible to define security elements in body part of the
> SOAP message, not in header part.
> In my opinon, there would be a reason why security elment is described
> in header part in WS-Security.
>
> If there is anyone who knows this reason or trade-off between two
> approaches, please give me your opinion.

If you look at the history of messaging, there has always been the need
to separate metadata from the actual payload. MQSeries and JMS are prime
examples. They leverage information in the message headers for message
correlation, priority, etc... This normalizes the message, and provides
the ability to optimize message processing. The reasons are the same for
SOAP where one can reduce the the amount of clutter that could go into
the actual payload, and normalize the message content for ease of
processing.

When it comes to WS-Security, there are many reasons for using SOAP
headers. For example, if you wish to sign the message body, would you
put the wsse element into the message body or header? What if there are
multiple signatures within the body. Seems to me that putting the
WS-Security wsse elements into the message body is a nightmare.

Finally, there is performance. If there isn't any headers, there is no
need to process WS-Security, WS-Addressing, etc... If everything is in
the body, it is more difficult to determine whether metadata processing
will need to be made or not.

Regards,
Bill