Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tim Visher <ti...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/29 14:30:38 UTC

Disadvantages of Upgrading Kafka server without upgrading client libraries?

Hi Everyone,

I have an install of Kafka 0.8.2.1 which I'm upgrading to 0.10.1.0. I see
that Kafka 0.10.1.0 should be backwards compatible with client libraries
written for older versions but that newer client libraries are only
compatible with their version and up.

My question is what disadvantages would there be to never upgrading the
clients? I'm mainly asking because it would be advantageous to save some
time here with a little technical debt if the costs weren't too high. If
there are major issues then I can take on the client upgrade as well.

Thanks in advance!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

Re: Disadvantages of Upgrading Kafka server without upgrading client libraries?

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
That's right, there should be no performance penalty if the broker is
configured to use the older message format. The downside is that timestamps
introduced in message format version 2 won't be supported in that case.

Ismael

Posted by Hans Jespersen <ha...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Apurva Mehta <ap...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Thomas Becker <to...@Tivo.com>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Most people upgrade clients to enjoy new client features, fix bugs or
improve performance. If none of these apply, no need to upgrade.

Since you are upgrading to 0.10.1.0, read the upgrade docs closely -
there are specific server settings regarding the message format that
you need to configure a certain way if the clients are not upgraded.

Gwen

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 6:30 AM, Tim Visher <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have an install of Kafka 0.8.2.1 which I'm upgrading to 0.10.1.0. I see
> that Kafka 0.10.1.0 should be backwards compatible with client libraries
> written for older versions but that newer client libraries are only
> compatible with their version and up.
>
> My question is what disadvantages would there be to never upgrading the
> clients? I'm mainly asking because it would be advantageous to save some
> time here with a little technical debt if the costs weren't too high. If
> there are major issues then I can take on the client upgrade as well.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
>
> In Christ,
>
> Timmy V.