Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/08 21:43:41 UTC

4.6

Folks,

We need to freeze 4.6 asap.

I originally agreed to RM 4.6 and Daan also stepped up.

But I would like to work on doing a release of ec2stack and gcestack, so I will step down from 4.6 RM.

Anybody wants to jump in.

There is already a ton of things in 4.6 and we need to release.

Ideally we also need to QA directly on master, so that we can build 4.7 on top of a stable release.

-sebastien

Re: 4.6

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Sebastien,

> On 08-Jun-2015, at 9:43 pm, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We need to freeze 4.6 asap.

Good idea. Can you suggest a hard date though, say first week of July? This will buy us some time to merge on-going efforts, review and merge pending PRs and fix critical issues shared on dev MLs.

There are few outstanding issues that I would have wanted in 4.6, but I guess they can be done in 4.7:

- Debian 8 based systemvm template, VR cleanup and improvements
- Replacing openswan with strongswan
- ipv6 support, routed ipv4/ipv6 network support and network refactoring work

> I originally agreed to RM 4.6 and Daan also stepped up.

Can you also share your plan with respect to release schedules once we decide on a freeze date for 4.6? Plans or timelines for 4.7?

If master will be frozen (good idea btw, instead of cutting a separate branch) till 4.6 is released, how should the developer community work on refactoring work and new features?

Also, we will need to fix packaging if we want to support systemd based Debian 8 and Ubuntu 15.04, also improve packaging for CentOS7 and Fedora 21/22.

> But I would like to work on doing a release of ec2stack and gcestack, so I will step down from 4.6 RM.
>
> Anybody wants to jump in.

Happy to co-pilot 4.6 release process if needed.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: 4.6

Posted by Rafael Fonseca <rs...@gmail.com>.
You guys can also count on me for whatever help you need to make it happen
smoothly :)

Re: 4.6

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 22-06-15 15:55, sebgoa wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 2:55 PM, Rafael Fonseca <rs...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sebastien, thx for following up so quickly :)
>>
>> It's because it's a big change that i think it should be done in
>> a major release an not a minor,
>
> We all agree on this. Such as change is for a major release.
>
> The question is 4.6 or 4.7 ...

To bring this up, if we go for 4.6, then that's OK.

The other discussion is if we move to Java 8 as well.

So Jetty + Java 8 in 4.6?

>> nevertheless it will be up to the community to decide if we
>> should ship it in 4.6.0 of wait for a long time to have this in.
>>
>> I've been waiting a long time for that larger discussion, the
>> currently open PR is already the second proposal to improve
>> packaging and the previous one was open for over a month.. so i
>> wonder how long it will take to let everyone take advantage of
>> it, since the code is all ready to ship... if anyone can see a
>> reason or a fix that might not be what they want, i can just
>> amend whatever quickly... but other than the mysql issue, i don't
>> know what would conflict with anyone's interest.. though feel
>> free to show me otherwise :)
>>
>> Like i said on the PR, this is still not all the changes i'd like
>> to make to get a cleaner packaging config, but whatever
>> aesthetical or maintainer helpfulness is still needed to be done,
>> can be done later along the path, while providing the
>> functionality earlier to everyone. Even if we eventually decide
>> to go for a completely different packaging structure like using a
>> proper makefile or something like that, most of the cleanup done
>> in this PR will just make that switch easier ;)
>>
>> For me it will just be a few hours of work to chop it all into
>> pieces and explain what each bit does, so just let me know if i
>> should focus on this straight away or leave it for later and
>> focus on some more needed fixes not related to packaging that
>> everyone should agree to get into releases ASAP.
>>

> We need to start testing master (a.k.a) 4.6 , identify blockers
> through testing and see what needs to get fixed. I have not had the
> time to check JIRA, to see if it's already with a 4.6 release and
> if we already have 4.6 blockers.
>

>> Looking forward for Pyr's input on this :)
>>

> Since he is the one who mentioned this feature, I am hoping he can
> comment soon on it.
>
> -sebastien
>

>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM, sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> and
>>>
>>> Rafael, let me copy Pierre-Yves who talked about this new
>>> packaging.
>>>
>>> I don't think we should try to put it in 4.6.0, it's too big of
>>> change, and should really be part of a larger discussion on
>>> re-packaging/re-architecture of several things.
>>>
>>> Hopefully Pyr can chime in.
>>>
>>> -sebastien

>>> use
>>> imo

>>> work to

>>> master.

>>> Instead

>>> want
>>> point
>>> in QA.

>>> freeze
>>> contributions.

>>> features

>>> 4.6

>>> sense.

>>> it

>>> gcestack,

>>> http://shapeblue.com/csforge/

CloudStack Software Engineering<

Re: 4.6

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: 4.6

Posted by Rafael Fonseca <rs...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastien, thx for following up so quickly :)

It's because it's a big change that i think it should be done in a major
release an not a minor, nevertheless it will be up to the community to

Re: 4.6

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: 4.6

Posted by Rafael Fonseca <rs...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Re: 4.6

Posted by Funs Kessen <fu...@barred.org>.
Hi Seb,

Re: 4.6

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: 4.6

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
All,

Why are we averse to cutting a release stabilization branch?  In the past, we have cut release stabilization branches to ensure that the flow contributions was not interrupted.  For committers, it is not a big deal since they can manage their branches in the cloudstack repo.  However, for non-committers, this freeze could cause unnecessary frustration and discourage further contributions.

Thanks,
-John

Re: 4.6

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: 4.6

Posted by Remi Bergsma <re...@remi.nl>.
Hi,

Re: 4.6

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi Seb

On 08.06.2015 21:43, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

> We need to freeze 4.6 asap.

Oh boy, you are way too fast :)

How many days will I have to finish
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/264 ?

And a more serious issue: The changes made in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-7994 are IMHO still in
the master branch, this would be a blocker for us. Also see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-dev/201506.mbox/%3C2D22E663-AFC2-4292-B16A-F6C2FCA0C217%40shapeblue.com%3E

I created a ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-8545

Yours
René