Posted to users@camel.apache.org by jylaj <fr...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/16 11:52:51 UTC

how camel works?

can somebody describe me how exactly(in basics) doe camel works ?
what does it mean when they say:
       "Apache Camel can be used as a routing and mediation engine for the
following projects:
               *  Apache ActiveMQ
               * Apache CXF
               * Apache MINA
                * Apache ServiceMix "
and do the projects that exchange message via camel have to have a client to
connect to the camel?
thanks

Re: how camel works?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/16/07, James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/16/07, jylaj <fr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > can somebody describe me how exactly(in basics) doe camel works ?
>
> The architecture is described here...
> http://activemq.apache.org/camel/architecture.html
>
> > what does it mean when they say:
> >        "Apache Camel can be used as a routing and mediation engine for the
> > following projects:
> >                *  Apache ActiveMQ
> >                * Apache CXF
> >                * Apache MINA
> >                 * Apache ServiceMix "
>
> So for example, with ActiveMQ you can use Camel to do smart routing &
> implement the EIP patterns in the JMS client or inside the broker.
>
> e.g. Camel can route messages to and from email, files, XMPP and other
> components...
> http://activemq.apache.org/camel/components.html
>
> as well as implementing these patterns...
> http://activemq.apache.org/camel/enterprise-integration-patterns.html
>
> The same is true for the other projects you mention. e.g. in
> ServiceMix's case you can use Camel to do smart routing between JBI
> components...
>

> > and do the projects that exchange message via camel have to have a client to
> > connect to the camel?
>
> Camel can work with a variety of kinds of messages; so for example
> inside ActiveMQ broker, there is no network connection per se, its
> talking to POJOs inside the broker. Similarly when using Camel with
> ServiceMix, its using the JBI bus (the NMR) to communicate.
>
> With Camel there's not necessarily a 'connection' as Camel can work
> with beans or in memory seda queues etc

BTW I've added a few FAQ entries to try answer your questions...
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/how-does-camel-work.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/how-does-camel-work-with-activemq.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/how-does-camel-work-with-servicemix.html
--