Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jim <op...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/11 20:31:10 UTC

Commenting templates

Is there a way to do server-side commenting, ala <%-- --> in JSPs?  i.e.
to comment sections that you (temporarily) don't wish to be dynamically
processed server-side?

Adding <!-- --> only precludes client-side processing, of course, and if
I try to surround a template section (which contains Tapestry
components) with $remove$ tags, I get: "Tag __ on line __ is a dynamic
component, and may not appear inside an ignored block."  Is there
another way?  I've been resorting to pasting into a separate file.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Commenting templates

Posted by Jim <op...@gmail.com>.
Somehow I tuned out your CDATA discussion, sorry.

Re: Commenting templates

Posted by Jim <op...@gmail.com>.
What about:

Re: Commenting templates

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@thedailytube.com>.
> [...]

> >  > > in T4?
> >  > >
> >  > > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Jim <op...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > > Is there a way to do server-side commenting, ala <%-- --> in JSPs?
> >  > > >  i.e. to
> >  > > > comment sections that you (temporarily) don't wish to be dynamically
> >  > > > processed server-side?
> >  > > >
> >  > > > Adding <!-- --> only precludes client-side processing, of course, and
> >  > > > if I
> >  > > > try to surround a template section (which contains Tapestry
> >  > > > components) with
> >  > > > $remove$ tags, I get: "Tag __ on line __ is a dynamic component, and
> >  > > > may not
> >  > > > appear inside an ignored block."  Is there another way?  I've been

TheDailyTube.com. Sign up and get the best new videos on the internet
delivered fresh to your inbox.

Re: Commenting templates

Posted by Jim <op...@gmail.com>.
Would it be possible and within Tapestry's vision to give users the
ability to annotate actual <!-- --> tags to designate them as
server-side?  In the spirit of being able to hand a Tapestry template to
a web designer using Dreamweaver, the syntax-highlighting would be
value-added.

Otherwise, there'd at least be value-added, in my opinion, in including
that no-op Comment component as standard, so that a potential
Spindle-like project could have its editor productively handle those
sections, as a JSP editor handles <%-- --> sections.  Plus, I think
users should be encouraged to document the dynamic behavior of their
templates -- requiring any hoops at all is going to be enough of an
excuse for too many people not to bother.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Commenting templates

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.