Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1995/08/07 23:24:36 UTC

Updating features for Apache (fwd)

Fill in the blanks. When it's complete, I'll pass it back to Paul..

-=-=-=-==-

Greetings. As you know, I am updating the servers chart by adding new
features and reformatting the chart. The reformatting is being done by
a Perl program, with input from a database. The first chart below was
generated by the database, and it seems to work so far. :-)

There has been a question as to what your software needs to do in order
to get a "Yes" for some entries. For a program to get a "Yes", it must
be able to fulfill the feature without requiring any software that does
not come with the server. Thus, if the server administrator must write
some new code himself/herself, or must download code from an FTP
server, or must buy some add-on module, the answer is "No". Minor
configuring of a program included with the server still rates a "Yes";
writing any actual code rates a "No".

The following are the entries that I have for your server. Please make
sure they are correct; if any are not correct or need to be updated,
please send me just the corrected fields.

Full name: Apache HTTP from the Apache Project
Short name: Apache
Runs under Unix: Yes
Runs under Windows NT: No
Runs under Windows 3.1: No
Runs under OS/2: No
Runs under MacOS: No
Runs under VMS: No
Runs under AmigaOS: No
Can run from inetd: NR
Logging with syslog: No
CERN/NCSA common log format: Yes and additional logs can log other headers.
Server-side includes: Yes
Reply with any status code without using CGI: Yes
Emits 500-level status codes: Yes
Automatic response to If-Modified-Since: Yes
Select files based on Accept header: Yes
Change actions based on User-Agent header: Yes
Can require password (Authorization: user): Yes
Supports SSL: No
Supports S-HTTP: No
File security model: Allow access to all files unless listed in an access file
Prohibit by IP address: Yes
Prohibit by domain name: Yes
Additional security features: Can make groups of users and allow access by
group name
GUI-based setup: No
GUI-based maintenance: No
Script or action based on output file type: Yes
Also serves other protocols: No
Automatic directory tree: Yes
User directories: Yes
Search engine: Internal search engine as well as freeWAIS support
Cost: Free

And here's the list of new features that will be added to the chart.
Please enter your response on the same line as the prompt (replying
to this message with lines preceded by '>' characters is fine).

*Runs under*
Windows95:

*Launching*
Can serve different directory roots for different IP addresses:

*Logging*
Log files can be automatically cycled or archived:
Normal (hit) log entries can be customized:
Can write to multiple logs (such as for certain kinds of hits, or
     different logs with different record formats):
Server can generate non-hit log entries (such as comments):
CGI scripts can generate log entries:
Performance measurment logs:

*Protocol support and includes*
Name given in "Server:" header: Apache
Ability to send dynamic documents or images (server push):
Access to server state variables from CGI or other scripting:
Reply with different documents based on client headers such
     as Accept, User-Agent, or URL:
Includes based on HTML comments:
Includes without using CGI or HTML comments:

*Response headers*
Automatically include any HTTP headers for HTML documents
     (without using CGI):
Automatically include any HTTP headers for non-HTML documents
     (without using CGI):

*Security*
Allow access to different data hierarchies based on the client's IP address:
Configurable user groups (not just a single user list):
Can change access control list without restarting server:

*Other*
Real-time performance measurement tools:
Remote maintenance while server is running:
Script or action based on MIME content-type:
Also acts as an HTTP proxy server:
Proxy server also caches:
Includes custom user interaction tools (chat rooms, BBS-like systems):

Please reply by Wednesday, August 16. This will give me enough time to
input your responses and generate a beta version of the full
reformatted chart. If you have any questions, please feel free to
contact me.

--Paul Hoffman
--Proper Publishing

Re: Updating features for Apache (fwd)

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Hmm.. I was thinking of the imagemap module, but I suppose the fact that
> there's an API doesn't fulfill the requirements for a "yes" since it
> would still have to be programmed in.

On this note... would it be possible for some future Apache release to put
the AddHandler directive (or one like it) back in? Patch E70 (or E75, I
can't tell) for Apache 0.6.0 and 0.6.1, and wrtten by rst, it was vetoed
in order to get 0.6.2 into release form. (at least that's what the mail
archive says. I wasn't around at the time) However, I'd like to see it
back, as it provides very useful functionality, IMO. Plus it lets us say
Yes to that line :)

Actually, I happen to perfer the WebSTAR name for this feature (it calls
them Actions), but that's a minor thing.

--/ Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> /--------/ Lefler on IRC

Re: Updating features for Apache (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > > Script or action based on MIME content-type: Yes
>
> It does? Not last time I looked.

Hmm.. I was thinking of the imagemap module, but I suppose the fact that
there's an API doesn't fulfill the requirements for a "yes" since it
would still have to be programmed in.

	Brian

Re: Updating features for Apache (fwd)

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
> *Runs under*
> Windows95:  No
>
> *Launching*
> Can serve different directory roots for different IP addresses: Yes
>
> *Logging*
> Log files can be automatically cycled or archived: No
> Normal (hit) log entries can be customized: Yes
> Can write to multiple logs (such as for certain kinds of hits, or
>      different logs with different record formats): Yes
> Server can generate non-hit log entries (such as comments): No (????)
> CGI scripts can generate log entries: Yes
> Performance measurment logs: Not yet :)
>
> *Protocol support and includes*
> Name given in "Server:" header: Apache
> Ability to send dynamic documents or images (server push): Yes (what server can't?)
> Access to server state variables from CGI or other scripting: Yes
> Reply with different documents based on client headers such
>      as Accept, User-Agent, or URL: Yes
> Includes based on HTML comments: Yes
> Includes without using CGI or HTML comments: No
>
> *Response headers*
> Automatically include any HTTP headers for HTML documents
>      (without using CGI): Yes (.asis?)
> Automatically include any HTTP headers for non-HTML documents
>      (without using CGI): Yes (.asis?)
>
> *Security*
> Allow access to different data hierarchies based on the client's IP address: Yes
> Configurable user groups (not just a single user list): Yes
> Can change access control list without restarting server: Yes (.htaccess)
>
> *Other*
> Real-time performance measurement tools: Not Yet
> Remote maintenance while server is running: No
> Script or action based on MIME content-type: Yes
> Also acts as an HTTP proxy server: No
> Proxy server also caches: No
> Includes custom user interaction tools (chat rooms, BBS-like systems): NotYet

Corrections, please!

	Brian