Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Arik Kfir <ar...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/14 18:36:44 UTC

Re: [m2] [evangelism] [suggestion] New libraries coming out

Hi,

Sorry for butting in - but how about adding some (willing) people as
administrators of *parts* of the ibiblio repo? I for example wouldn't
mind being responsible for managing, say, the jboss section. This
means that the admin only has permissions for that particular
directory of the ibiblio repo and he/she need only to concentrate on
that (new versions, POM fixes).

We can thus divide the workload between the community and let the core
Maven team concentrate more on the core product. In addition, if every
admin is responsible for a group of products he/she are using anyway,
I'm sure the quality of the POMs and their maintenance will go up as
well.

What do you think?

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, that's what I meant :)

    _____________________________________
    Arik Kfir                    arikkfir@gmail.com

Re: [m2] [evangelism] [suggestion] New libraries coming out

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.

On 12/14/05, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:
> Arik Kfir schrieb:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for butting in - but how about adding some (willing) people as
> > administrators of *parts* of the ibiblio repo? I for example wouldn't
> > mind being responsible for managing, say, the jboss section. This
> > means that the admin only has permissions for that particular
> > directory of the ibiblio repo and he/she need only to concentrate on
> > that (new versions, POM fixes).
>
> Hmm...POM fixes !?! Fixing a POM means making a new release, or ? I
> definitely would not want any deployed artifact to change in the
> repository once deployed. That would mean having to permanently monitor
> the repository for changes.
>
> --
> Christian

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: [m2] [evangelism] [suggestion] New libraries coming out

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Srepfler Srgjan <sr...@lnksystem.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

>This is exactly what we plan to do. There is work under way to set up
>the necessary permission system and web of trust. Ideally, it will be
>the projects themselves doing so, but we realise this won't always be
>the case.
>
>BTW, we just did a big key signing at ApacheCon. If you ever wind up
>at a face to face with other people in the community, make sure you
>create and sign each others PGP keys!
>
>Cheers,
>Brett

Sounds like a great initiative, it'll help us manage the repo, it'll
benefit the upstream devs and the downstream devs as well.
I believe that if a project comes out that already uses m2 they should
be allowed to manage their own repos, what do you think?

Re: [m2] [evangelism] [suggestion] New libraries coming out

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@gmail.com>.
This sounds great brett - glad to hear that.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.