Posted to users@camel.apache.org by deepak_a <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/20 17:03:56 UTC

Using Camel to control the JMS message priority

Hi,

In the architecture I am working in, messages come into a ActiveMQ Queue
from IBM MQ.
An application/consumer polls the messages from this active MQ Queue.

Note: Active-MQ is configured within JBoss & Camel does the job of moving
messages b/w IBM MQ, Active MQ and b/w active MQ; consumer.

Messages from IBM MQ (may) have a priority set.

By default ActiveMQ ignores the priority, so I was trying to set the a
priority Queue as per
http://activemq.apache.org/how-can-i-support-priority-queues.html
So that any JMS message priority set in the message when it left IBM MQ is
still preserved.

Then I came across the property #preserveMessageQos# in the below links
http://camel.apache.org/return-address.html
http://camel.apache.org/jms.html

by setting this property to true - does Camel ensures that messages are
queued within my ActiveMQ based on the priority of the message?

i.e. the change i am planning to do @ activeMQ's end can be achieved by
setting this property in Camel?

Can some one clarify if my understanding is correct. End results should be -
when the consumer eventually consumes the message, I want the messages with
high priority to be consumed first.

regards,