Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@gluecode.com> on 2004/10/18 19:43:13 UTC

CAN WE PLEASE MAKE THE BLOODY BUILD WORK

To all those who have been making "improvements" to the build over the
last month, can we please please get back to a situation where it works
reliably, every time on Windows, Linux and OSX.

No magic, no mystical plugin downloads, no arcane sequences to rebuild,
no patches to apply, simply:

* Clear instructions on building on a clean machine
* Clear instructions on rebuilding a working copy
* The ability to build online without taking hours

AND THEN STOP MESSING WITH IT!

--
Jeremy

Re: CAN WE PLEASE MAKE THE BLOODY BUILD WORK

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Fixed EWS/Axis problems (both JDK1.4 and JDK1.5)

thanks,
dims

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Another problem you created, Jeremy, by switching all the specs to
> snapshots, which took about a week to shake out.

	By the way, that's still not shaken yet -- if you grep the
activemq tree for rc2, you'll find a bunch of hits that should be
converted to "SNAPSHOT".  The most important being etc/project.xml and
modules/base-project.xml.

Aaron

Re: CAN WE PLEASE MAKE THE BLOODY BUILD WORK

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
Totally agree with Arron's assessment.  The major ongoing problems are
m1's reactor (multiproject) dependency handling is simply not good
enough, and other projects change their build.

We also have problems we created, like modules missing dependencies on
plugins.  None of the people regularly building geronimo notice the
problem because they have the plugin already installed.  Another
problem you created, Jeremy, by switching all the specs to snapshots,
which took about a week to shake out.

Anyway, if you want to be build monkey for a few weeks, go for it.

-dain

--
Dain Sundstrom
Chief Architect

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
	Hear, hear.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
What exactly are you asking for here?  it wasn't clear from the
subject...

geir@gluecode.com

Re: CAN WE PLEASE MAKE THE BLOODY BUILD WORK

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 10:43:13AM -0700, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> To all those who have been making "improvements" to the build over the
> last month, can we please please get back to a situation where it works
> reliably, every time on Windows, Linux and OSX.
>
> No magic, no mystical plugin downloads, no arcane sequences to rebuild,
> no patches to apply, simply:
>
> * Clear instructions on building on a clean machine
> * Clear instructions on rebuilding a working copy
> * The ability to build online without taking hours
>
> AND THEN STOP MESSING WITH IT!

You, chirino, djencks, jlaskowski, and dims have added your home
directories to the repo list which is the reason building online takes
so long.

Maven checks each repo for each snapshot, it doesn't just take the
first one it finds.

-David