Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> on 2016/12/07 17:17:43 UTC

[VOTE]: KIP-97: The client compatibility KIP

Hi all,

I heard that the VOTE and DISCUSS threads for the KIP-97 discussion
appeared to be in the same email thread for some people using gmail.  So
I'm reposting in hopes of getting a separate email thread this time for
those viewers. :)

I'd like to start voting on KIP-97
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-97%3A+Improved+Kafka+Client+RPC+Compatibility+Policy
).

The discussion thread can be found here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@kafka.apache.org/msg60955.html

Thanks for your feedback.

best,
Colin McCabe

Re: [VOTE]: KIP-97: The client compatibility KIP

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 10:00 AM Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Sriram Subramanian <ra...@confluent.io>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 (binding)
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the KIP Colin, +1 (binding) from me.
> > >
> > > I agree with Rajini's suggestions. Also, since the command is a public
> > > interface, it would be good to include details in the KIP.
> > >
> > > Ismael

> > So
> for

> --
> -- Guozhang

Neha

Re: [VOTE]: KIP-97: The client compatibility KIP

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE]: KIP-97: The client compatibility KIP

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Thanks, folks.

I added some discussion about the potential to support new versions of
SaslHandshakeRequest through this mechanism.  It may be useful down the
road.

I added a little more detail about how the BrokerVersions command would
work, as well as some sample output from the current patch.  I think it
will be pretty useful to be able to query broker versions, especially
during an upgrade.

cheers,
Colin

Posted by Sriram Subramanian <ra...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
With binding +1 votes from Gwen Shapira, Ismael Juma, Sriram
Subramanian, Guozhang Wang, Neha Narkhede, Jay Kreps, Ewen
Cheslack-Postava, and non-binding votes from Edoardo Comar and Rajini
Sivaram, vote passes.  There were no +0 or -1 votes.

cheers,
Colin McCabe

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

It may be worth noting in the KIP that clients can check SASL handshake
version (prior to authentication) using this approach if we ever need to
update the handshake request. But versions request cannot be used to check
which SASL mechanisms are supported, that needs to go through the SASL
handshake process.

Also, the tool that prints out versions would work on SASL-enabled brokers
without authentication. But if the broker is using SSL with client
authentication, only an authenticated client can obtain versions.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> +1 (non-binding)
> I have some concerns on the potential for complexity and testing
> requirement,
> but in general having a client interoperable with two broker version would
> be great for many users.
> Edoardo Comar
> IBM MessageHub
> ecomar@uk.ibm.com
> IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN
>
> IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with number
> 741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6
> 3AU
>

> From:   Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>
> To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
> Date:   08/12/2016 00:42
> Subject:        Re: [VOTE]: KIP-97: The client compatibility KIP
>

> +1 (binding)
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I heard that the VOTE and DISCUSS threads for the KIP-97 discussion
> > appeared to be in the same email thread for some people using gmail.  So
> > I'm reposting in hopes of getting a separate email thread this time for
> > those viewers. :)
> >
> > I'd like to start voting on KIP-97
> > (
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-
> 97%3A+Improved+Kafka+Client+RPC+Compatibility+Policy
>
> > ).
> >
> > The discussion thread can be found here:
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@kafka.apache.org/msg60955.html
> >
> > Thanks for your feedback.
> >
> > best,
> > Colin McCabe
>

> --
> Gwen Shapira
> Product Manager | Confluent
> 650.450.2760 | @gwenshap
> Follow us: Twitter | blog
>

> Unless stated otherwise above:
> 741598.

Rajini

Re: [VOTE]: KIP-97: The client compatibility KIP

From:   Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   08/12/2016 00:42
Subject:        Re: [VOTE]: KIP-97: The client compatibility KIP