Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2003/09/08 14:04:27 UTC

[JMX] Streaming data to an MBean

	The JSR-88 implementation needs to send the finished module to the
server to deploy, which can generally happen over the network.  The only
way I know of to invoke a server component this way is to defined an MBean
method that takes a byte array.  But I'd really rather avoid loading the
whole module in memory (I've seen 10MB EARs before, usually full of static
content and third-party libraries, and I'm sure that's not the biggest).

	Is there any way to stream the data to a JMX MBean, and let it
spool it to disk as it arrives?

	Or should we consider having something like an always-on servlet
that accepts application uploads from the JSR-88 deployer, puts them
somewhere sensible on disk, and returns a URL on the server filesystem
which then the JSR-88 deployer can pass with the DDs to a normal deploy
call on a deployer MBean?

Thanks,
	Aaron

Re: [JMX] Streaming data to an MBean

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> How about WebDAV?  After all this is what it was designed to do.

	Are there WebDAV features in place already?  If so, is there some
example for how to interface with them, or code to look at to get started?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
How about WebDAV?  After all this is what it was designed to do.

-dain

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 01:19 PM, Siva wrote:

> I feel a 2 level staging environment,where a servlet maps
> a file upload to a local path and then starts deploying is
> better than a direct byte array load.
>
> Siva

/*************************
  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network
  *************************/

Re: [JMX] Streaming data to an MBean

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
	Well my hope would be to avoid a workaround such as a servlet.
I'm hoping our basic JMX interface has some provision for streaming
large transfers.  If that doesn't work out, we can work on the servlet
angle.  But that's got its own complexities -- we'd need some kind of
special handling so it's always deployed, even if the web container is
otherwise set up for virtual hosting or tight security or something.  On
the other hand, it would provide a convenient way to lock down deployment
activity to system admins only, whereas the JMX interface seems to be wide
open.

Aaron