Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> on 2005/11/21 22:36:51 UTC

retag 3.2-rc3 as 3.2 ?

Hi,

Since the release of 3.2-rc3, there have been some bugs reported.
Some of them cocern the support of Derby, and two problems with the
jdbc task.

However, in my opinion, none of these bugs are significant enough not to
release the 3.2-rc3 as the Torque 3.2 final release. The benefits of
removing these bugs do not outweigh the benefits of having a final
release, which are the following:
- we could start fixing bugs which would require changing the behaviour of
Torque in some ways, like the village-related bugs
- we could also start to have a go at new features such as supporting sql
functions or pluggable template extensions

And then, a certain frequency of small bugs will always appear, so it will
not be feasible to push out a release which is totally free of bugs.

With these things in mind, my plan is to call for a vote on retagging
3.2-rc3 as 3.2 in a few days if no significant bugs or obstacles are found
until then. So if you want to test the RC before this decision is made,
please do so now. Also, if you have any objections against this, we could
discuss that before making a decision.

   Thomas

RE: retag 3.2-rc3 as 3.2 ?

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
Sounds like a good plan.

IMHO, the list of stuff I think people would like to see such as Function
support, Village replacement, and the like seem to add up to shooting
for V4.0 and will require some amount of internals being changed around
with associated testing/bugs/problems.

Should 3.2 be branched into a maintenance only branch so that the head
can be used for 4.0 development?

Oh, for the non-U.S. folks... Just a heads up that Thanksgiving holiday is
this week, so the U.S. folks may not be paying as much attention to
Torque as they should.. (like me 8).. off work for a week).  Happy
Thanksgiving to all regardless of location!

[...]

Duke CE Privacy Statement
Please be advised that this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient you may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email, its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.