Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ashish Bisht <bi...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/04 06:08:40 UTC

Relevancy Score Calculation

Hi,

Currently score is calculated based on "Max Doc"  instead of "Num Docs".Is
it possible to change it to "Num Docs"(i.e without deleted docs).Will it
require a code change or some config change.

Regards
Ashish

Re: Relevancy Score Calculation

Posted by Ashish Bisht <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.I Agree.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Why do you think that would help? This sounds like an XY
problem, you are asking how to do X because you think
it'll help with problem Y but haven't told us what Y is.

At any rate, it would require a code change, in many places.
It's unlikely to be worth the effort anyway, because the
term _frequencies_ would still include counts from deleted docs.

99% of the time in my experience, worrying excessively about
this kind of detail about score calculations is wasted effort,
but it's hard to recommend one way or the other without knowing
what "Y" is above.

Best,
Erick