Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Faus, Lee" <Le...@compuware.com> on 2004/02/09 16:06:26 UTC

MDA and Tapestry

Hello,

I am a Senior J2EE Architect for Compuware and I use their MDA tool for all
of my engagements.  I have recently run into a request to build an
Implementation Pattern for Tapestry for a group I am working with in the UK.
I currently have the "stubs" working to build out the application.  Now I am
getting into the meat of the pattern.  I want to make sure I use what would
be considered "Tapestry" best practices.  Is there such a document?  I am
looking for things like where to store .page, .jwc, .properties, .html
files.  Currently I was anticipating using the structure:

WEB-INF

            +-- components

                        +-- (MOF ClassName Folder) (Think of this as a
Mapping to an EntityBean

                                    +-- (MOF ClassName).jwc

                                    +-- (MOF ClassName).properties

                                    +-- (MOF ClassName).html

            +-- pages

                        +-- (MOF ServiceName Folder) (Think of this as a
Mapping to a SessionBean/FastLane Reader)

                                    +-- (MOF ServiceName).page

                                    +-- (MOF ServiceName).html

            +-- web.xml

            +-- web.application

Am I on the right track?  I have tried to build this out by hand, but when I
try to access the subfolders, things seem to break.  Since the application
we are building have around 1,000 components, I need a good directory
structure to keep things sane.

N. Lee Faus
Sr. OptimalJ Consultant
Compuware Corporation
1121 Situs Court, Suite 190
Raleigh, NC 27606
(800) 847-7721
(919) 637-5949 (cell)
lee.faus@compuware.com

and then destroy it.

RE: MDA and Tapestry

Posted by Adam Greene <ag...@romulin.com>.
Would this be made available to others who would want to use it or is this a
private engagement?

As to the application breaking when you lay out the application this way,
the first question is : What version of Tapestry are you using.  This layout
is only valid with Tapestry 3.0.  Second question: What kind of error is
thrown when it "breaks"?  I am assuming that "breaks" means Tapestry does
not load properly.  If so, can you send an example of a generated
application (1 or 2 pages, 1 or 2 components, the web.xml and
web.application) so that we can verify that it is writing them out
correctly.  Make sure to include the directory structure in your zip file.

RE: MDA and Tapestry

Posted by Larry Streepy <la...@staffmix.com>.
Ok, I've got a question about file layouts (that was spurred by the post
below).   I prefer to organize my code along the lines used in the contrib.
library - that is all artifacts for a component in a directory for that
component.  Now, when it comes time to deploy this structure (and this may
be a horribly stupid question), do I have to create a library out of my
components in order to use this "packaged" layout?  In other words, I'm
uncertain as to how Tapestry locates page and component artifacts within the
WEB-INF structure and I can't see any good examples of how to make Tapestry
find my component artifacts if they don't reside directly within the WEB-INF
directory.

Please let me know if I've missed something obvious.

Thanks.

Larry.

  _____

RE: MDA and Tapestry

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
With an MDA tool, you can use <page> and <component-type> elements in the application specification
to control extractly where files are located.

I would be very interested to know if you are leveraging the <property> element (which is allowed in
many specification elements). The element was introduced into the DTDs specifically to support MDA
meta data, though applications may also use it for application-specific data as well.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components

[...]

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that
may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy
or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately
and then destroy it.