Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Arindam Choudhury <ar...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/11 15:45:19 UTC

transferring between HDFS which reside in different subnet

Hi,

I have a question to the hadoop experts:

I have two HDFS, in different subnet.

HDFS1 : 192.168.*.*
HDFS2:  10.10.*.*

the namenode of HDFS2 has two NIC. One connected to 192.168.*.* and another
to 10.10.*.*.

So, is it possible to transfer data from HDFS1 to HDFS2 and vice versa.

Regards,
Arindam

Re: transferring between HDFS which reside in different subnet

Posted by Arindam Choudhury <ar...@gmail.com>.
So,

hadoop dfs -cp hdfs://.... hdfs://...

this will work.

Posted by Rajesh Sai T <ts...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shi Yu <sh...@uchicago.edu>.
It seems in your case HDFS2 could access HDFS, so you should be able to
transfer HDFS data to HDFS2.

If you want to cross-transfer, you don't need to do distcp on cluster
nodes, if any client node (not necessary to be namenode, datanode,
secondary node, etc.) could access to both HDFSs, then run transfer
command on that client node.

Posted by Arindam Choudhury <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shi Yu <sh...@uchicago.edu>.