Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com> on 2000/11/03 19:44:32 UTC

Hot Deployment

Did anyone take a look at the new TechTip at JavaSoft?
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/TechTips/2000/tt1027.html

The article answers the question on how to run new version(s) of classes without restarting the
VM. Are we doing this already? We could do this for XSP's. When we identify that the .XSP file has
been updated, we can regenerate the class file and load the new version of the class.

Here's an excerpt:
USING CLASS LOADERS FOR HOT DEPLOYMENT
The ability to load mutiple classes with the same name into the virtual machine allows servers to
partition processing into separate namespaces. This partitioning could be space-based, separating
code from different sources to simplify security. For example, applets from two different
codebases could run in the same browser process. Or, the partitioning could be time-based. Here,
new versions of a class could be loaded as they become available. This time-based partitioning
feature is sometimes known as hot deployment. The following code demonstrates hot deployment in
action.

dims

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager