Posted to user@poi.apache.org by jayrp11 <ni...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/21 13:17:26 UTC

Memory and perfomance issues

Hi,

As we know at present in current final release 3.5 of POI we have memory and
performance related issues.

I know these has been discussed several times earlier. But now POI has
released final version and those issue may have different take.

So, for this memory and performance related issues does POI has any plan to
address them in coming release.

Can the demo program developed by Yogor, BigGridDemo.java be considered for
solution to this problems?

We have developed our own solution which is inspired by BigGridDemo and it
is working fine. Also I have seen some other peoples are trying the same
thing. With this approach maintainability will be a concern. Like for
upgrade to newer version of POI.

I feel Excel 2007 support is more or less about providing support for large
data, But unfortunately, with current release developers will face troubles
for supporting large Excel 2007 format.

Please let us know about your comments.

Thanks,
Jaydeep.

Re: Memory and perfomance issues

Posted by jayrp11 <ni...@gmail.com>.
You can look at post at below link

http://www.nabble.com/POI-%3A-Memory-and-Perfomance-ts24756016.html

Posted by "@lan Williamson" <al...@alanwilliamson.org>.

Posted by Alex Ciarlillo <ci...@ohio.edu>.
I recently worked on a small project where I had to overcome these memory
issues. I also based my final solution off BigGridDemo but with the addition
of being able to work on multiple sheets. Since it was a relatively trivial
and small program the solution was fairly hacked together, but I can foresee
in the future that POI will be extremely valuable for projects in which
memory concerns will also most likely be a concern. My question is, why do
you not consider BigGridDemo a "solution"? Is it simply because it is not
full featured production style code, or is it due to limitations or possible
incompatibilities with how the usermodel currently works? I have only used
POI on one other project and this was before there was even support for
.xslx so my knowledge is fairly limited. But, from my understanding the
memory issue lies within the library used to process xml, should memory
footprint improvements be aimed at this library or would a more reasonable
solution be to replace the library altogether in some way? I know these
questions are fairly broad and probably do not have simple answers, I am
just trying to get an idea of whether or not this is something within my
capability to maybe work on in my spare time. I am encouraged at my job to
contribute back to any open source projects I make use of and finally have
the opportunity and motivation to do so. However, as I said before my
experience with all the features of POI is limited and my knowledge of xml
is fairly cursory so basically I doubt if I could do much better than the
library being used. Sorry if these questions may have been more
appropriately posted to the dev list but it seemed appropriate to the
conversation.

Posted by Aram Mirzadeh <aw...@mbcli.com>.
I've run into the same "error" at least and it turned out to be
surprising enough, illegal characters for XML without being escaped.
Either check the source data coming in or add in all of the checks to
make sure the data you're inserting doesn't have < > & etc...

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.