Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl.INVALID> on 2023/07/22 17:59:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-957 Support async runtimes in consumer

Hello developers of the Java consumer,

This is a simpler alternative to KIP-944 as proposed by Chris Egerton.

In this proposal we make method acquire and release of the KafkaConsumer
class protected. This allows anyone to implement these methods as
appropriate for their environment.

The wiki page for KIP-957 contains more details
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/lY6zDw

This is a call for discussion. If possible I would like to include this
change in Kafka 3.6.
Any questions, comments, ideas and other additions are welcome!

Kind regards,
     Erik.

--
Erik van Oosten