Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de> on 2015/01/23 23:49:35 UTC

Website and CI

Hi,

Sorry to be a little bit late:

IMHO the frontpage can be improved further.

On my first encounter with bigtop I asked myself:

Where are actual repositories ?
  - Have not found any until now

Do they really use Jdk 1.6 ?
  -  The information of tools needed to build is mostly inaccurate and misleading. IMHO this is not information needed on the first page. Links to information on how to build is needed. Yes I do have to fill in a bit myself …

- Do they support Hive ?
  more accurate List of technologies maintained is needed: Zookeeper, Hadoop, HDFS, Yarn, Hbase, Hive, Hue. — Maybe use the MAINTAINERS file to extract the technologies.

- Where is the Source code?
  Had to google to find the github mirror

- Looking at the CI Systems and the source I asked myself.
How the &%$§! do the compile it?

The links to the CI systems are not one of the strongest parts of the Bigtop project. The first link is broken and the second one— well — looks like the room of my younger son.
I am wondering why nobody stepped in for the CI. I still have to dumb some work from my queue into JIRA but can help setup a Bigtop CI compile job generating a live repo, since I have to do it internally anyway.

BTW: There is a typo in the first dropdown: should be „powered by“ .

Cheers
Olaf

RE: Website and CI

Posted by na...@reactor8.com.
Hey Olaf,

Dropped your comments on this jira:

Add whatever other pts there, if doable we should try to target new site setup for Feb conference