Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Alan Burlison <Al...@oracle.com> on 2015/05/13 13:14:13 UTC

HADOOP-9279 still not fixed, needs reopening

Document the need to build hadoop-maven-plugins for eclipse and separate
project builds

Although the BUILDING.txt mentions the need to to build
hadoop-maven-plugins for Eclipse, it's actually needed for *all* builds,
even from the top level, otherwise a top-level build will fail with:

[ERROR] Failed to parse plugin descriptor for
org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-maven-plugins:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT
(/pool1/home/alanbur/bleaklow/bigdata/hadoop/hadoop-maven-plugins/target/classes):
No plugin descriptor found at META-INF/maven/plugin.xml -> [Help 1]

Manually building hadoop-maven-plugins fixes the problem, but if I'm
reading HADOOP-9279 right it shouldn't be required. What's the correct
course of action here, reopen HADOOP-9279 or log a new bug? If it's the
former I can't see any way of reopening it in JIRA, presumably because
I'm not blessed enough to do so.

Alan Burlison

Re: HADOOP-9279 still not fixed, needs reopening

Posted by Alan Burlison <Al...@oracle.com>.
On 13/05/2015 17:38, Chris Nauroth wrote:

> I usually tell people starting fresh to do "mvn clean install -Pnative
> -DskipTests" as a first step.  That's a good validation of your build
> environment, and it will put a SNAPSHOT version of each sub-module into
> your local Maven repository.  After that, you can do smaller incremental
> builds by cd'ing into hadoop-hdfs or hadoop-yarn-server-nodemanager or
> anything else and running things like "mvn test" for just that sub-module.

Thanks, I've logged

BUILDING.txt is still unclear about the need to build
hadoop-maven-plugins first

And assigned it to myself.

--
Alan Burlison

Re: HADOOP-9279 still not fixed, needs reopening

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
I usually tell people starting fresh to do "mvn clean install -Pnative
-DskipTests" as a first step.  That's a good validation of your build
environment, and it will put a SNAPSHOT version of each sub-module into
your local Maven repository.  After that, you can do smaller incremental
builds by cd'ing into hadoop-hdfs or hadoop-yarn-server-nodemanager or
anything else and running things like "mvn test" for just that sub-module.

--Chris Nauroth

Posted by Alan Burlison <Al...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.