Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/30 17:13:25 UTC

New release

Hi,

I didn’t want to add this to the thread that Patricia started, but IMO I’d like us to push for a new release ASAP. Peter’s done a ton of work, there are improvements needed to the RMI classloading approach that can help projects out there today that use OSGi, and we have to do something.

What I’d like to suggest is we create version 3.0, rename the com.sun.jini namespace to org.apache.river, and produce a new release. Lets get this done over the next quarter. I know there are alot of details with this proposal, and esoteric discussions surrounding “what are we”, but we either release or die. IMO, its that simple.

If anyone does not like whats in 3.0, they can still use 2.2.2. If bug fixes are needed for 2.2.2 we can still provide support for it. Release early, release often.

Regards

Dennis

Re: New release

Posted by Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>.
Ah, *that's* the issue I had stuck in the back of my mind now, the
"not-building" one.
I had somebody translated that into "not running" with Java 8 also.

thanks for clarifying,
Dawid

Re: New release

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Re: New release

Posted by Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>.

Re: New release

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
Apache is kind of like Yoda - release or do not, there is no candidate.  ;- )

“Release” is more of a licensing thing.. We’re putting out the Foundation’s assurance that the code is Apache-licensed and of known provenance.  River is perfectly free to put out a release where we can’t swear to the actual quality of the code.

I think what we agreed on was that we would release 3.0 as a kind of “technology preview” and let people have a go at it.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk.

Re: New release

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.

Re: New release

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
I can free up some cycles. Unfortunately, the last time I was closely
involved in a software release was over 30 years ago - I switched to
system performance and hardware architecture. Even then, I was the
compiler project leader, not the release coordinator.

On the other hand, I can free up some cycles. Would it be feasible for
me to act as release manager from the point of view of trying to drive
action, with Greg and others looking over my shoulder and telling me
what needs doing?

Re: New release

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.