Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com> on 2002/12/03 22:26:06 UTC

Status of ra_svn

Could you provied a short summary of what should work and what shouldn't
work over ra_svn?

We'd like to switch to it as we are having tons of problems with apache
deadlocking and leaking semaphores.

Re: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 17:26, Brandon Ehle wrote:
> Could you provied a short summary of what should work and what shouldn't
> work over ra_svn?
>
> We'd like to switch to it as we are having tons of problems with apache
> deadlocking and leaking semaphores.

I'm not sure it's wise to switch, but here's a status report:

I just fixed a raft of bugs, and it now passes the test suite.  That
doesn't render it perfect, but it does mean it should handle most of the
corner cases.

It only handles anonymous authentication.  That's pretty limiting.  I
hope to find time to implement ssh tunneling soon.

It is insecure; if you run svnserve, you will allow commits (as
"anonymous") to any repository your uid can find, even if you pass a
"-r" option specifying a logical root.  This is because the server
doesn't try to prevent "../" in URLs.  I hope to fix that soon.

It isn't even a little bit documented.

The server process invocation is likely to change; it needs a ton of
options it doesn't have.

Re: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Brandon Ehle wrote:

> Yes, I've noticed some general reproduction recipes, but I need to
> find a way to get our repository running again before I can attempt to
> track down these issues.

Well, nobody will be able to help you until you start describing your
setup in excruciating detail; as in, what system, what architecture,
which ono-vanilla patches, the exact versions of Apache and Subversion,
how built and installed, the Apache DAV configuration, etc. ad nauseam.

*Lots* of people are using Subversion over DAV with no problems, and
there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to, either. But just ranting
won't help, I'm afraid.

Re: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com>.
Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

>[Brandon]
>

>>5GB of what?  5GB of strings or 5GB of strings+log.* files?
>>

>[niemeyer@mapi8 /svnroot/cnc/db]% du -h strings
>6.5G    strings
>
>[Sussman]
>

>>Gustavo, you out there?  Have you experienced any such problems?
>>

>We have about 100 daily commits. No problems here.

Try some of the more intensive operations.  One of the operations that
we see fail is taking two branches and running merge between them.

Re: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Gustavo Niemeyer <ni...@conectiva.com>.
[Brandon]

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]

Re: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com> writes:

> >(IIRC, Gustavo Niemeyer is running a 5GB repository and *not* having
> > these problems.)
> 5GB of what?  5GB of strings or 5GB of strings+log.* files?
>
> We are currently running with a 3.2GB strings file and 5GB of log.* files.

And of those 5GB of log files, over 90% can be deleted or backed up.
They're ancient history, not used anymore, unless you need to
catastrophically rebuild your entire database from every db-txn ever
logged.  Run 'db_archive -a' to see which logfiles can be removed.

Gustavo's got a whole linux package distribution system built on top
of subversion:

   http://moin.conectiva.com.br/RepositorySystem

Gustavo, you out there?  Have you experienced any such problems?

It sounds like your problem has something specifically to do with
Apache threads not working correctly on your hardware or OS.

Re: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com>.

>I know somebody has mentioned it before. I'll mention it again. You need
>to recover the database. The exact syntax to recover is either in the
>mailing list archive or in the FAQ someplace.

Heh, I've recovered the database 15 times in the last 24 hours.  While
using the repository apache deadlocks and won't let any operations on
the locked repository start.  If you attempt to shut apache down, it's
stuck waiting on those threads for a minute or two, then shuts down.  At
this point, it has leaked some semaphores, so you must manually delete
those with ipcrm, if you don't apache will eventually run out of
semaphores and you must reboot the system.  Then about 50% of the time,
the repository will be wedged and it requires recovery, but the other
times you can just restart apache and its fine.

>Having said all of the above: You're using Subversion in production? Are
>you nuts? We haven't released yet. ;)

Its not a production environment per se, we are evaluating subversion
hands on.  If we find that it cannot handle what we throw at it, we'll
obviously have to switch, but up until this point we've been happy with it.

RE: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Bill Tutt <ra...@lyra.org>.
> From: Brandon Ehle [mailto:azverkan@yahoo.com]

> >Considering that ra_svn is a newborn baby, hardly tested, and likely
> >full of bugs at the moment... I think you're making a pretty silly
> >decision.
> >

> Granted, I don't want to make the switch but I'm sort of stuck up s***
> creek without a paddle.  I want to track down the apache bugs and fix
> them, but in the meantime, the rest of my team needs the repository up
> and running.  Unless you can suggest another way to get the repository
> to work for updates, checkouts, & commits; I need to find any way I
can
> to get the repository running before I get into any bug tracking.
This
> seems my only solution as mounting the repository over SAMBA probably
> isn't very safe.
>
> >On IRC, you kept describing about how httpd children were
> >constantly hanging and/or causing repository wedges.  You stated that
> >this problem seemed to get worse as the repository grew bigger (to
6GB
> >and beyond).  I think the better approach here is to work with Apache
> >and SVN developers, and figure out why you're seeing these problems.
> >

> Yes, I've noticed some general reproduction recipes, but I need to
find
> a way to get our repository running again before I can attempt to
track
> down these issues.

I know somebody has mentioned it before. I'll mention it again. You need
to recover the database. The exact syntax to recover is either in the
mailing list archive or in the FAQ someplace.

The short term solution for SVN, and I'm not sure that ra_svn changes
this at all (I haven't read the code) is to add BDB lock timeouts. The
trouble being how long should the timeout be? I'm going to take a stab
and say 2min should definitely be more than long enough, or your
Subversion server is too overloaded in the first place.

After we do that if the children still hang then we'll start needing
more reproducible test cases.

Having said all of the above: You're using Subversion in production? Are
you nuts? We haven't released yet. ;)

FYI,
Bill

Re: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> writes:

> Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Could you provied a short summary of what should work and what
> > shouldn't work over ra_svn?

FWIW, Check the mail I sent out last night to the dev list.  It shows
a transcript of me fiddling with ra_svn.

> > We'd like to switch to it as we are having tons of problems with
> > apache deadlocking and leaking semaphores.

Considering that ra_svn is a newborn baby, hardly tested, and likely
full of bugs at the moment... I think you're making a pretty silly
decision.

Apache is supposed to be this big, well-tested, massively scalable
thing.  On IRC, you kept describing about how httpd children were

Re: Status of ra_svn

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com> writes:
> Could you provied a short summary of what should work and what
> shouldn't work over ra_svn?
>
> We'd like to switch to it as we are having tons of problems with
> apache deadlocking and leaking semaphores.

Greg Hudson is still shaking bugs out of it.  I expect he'll make some
sort of status announcement when he's done.

-K