Posted to user@hive.apache.org by James Pirz <ja...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/06 04:28:54 UTC

Hive 1.2.0 fails on Hadoop 2.6.0

I am trying to run Apache Hive 1.2.0 on Hadoop 2.6.0 on a cluster. My
hadoop cluster comes up fine (I start hdfs and yarn) and then I create
required tmp and warehouse directories in HDFS and I try to start Hive CLI
(I do not do anything with HCatalog or Hiveserver2) but I keep getting
errors related to metastore (See below). Replacing Hive 1.2.0 with Hive
0.13, it just works fine.

Is there anything changed regarding starting Hive 1.X on Hadoop 2.X from
Hive 0.X ? (This is the first time I am trying Hive on Hadoop 2)

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:519)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:677)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:621)
at
at
at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:221)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1523)
….

Re: Hive 1.2.0 fails on Hadoop 2.6.0

Posted by James Pirz <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for replying, I was Digging into it, and I could fix that.
It was happening because Hive has upgraded to Jline2 but jline 0.94 exists
in the Hadoop lib.
I ended up following these steps (Which I found here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+on+Spark%3A+Getting+Started>
):

Delete jline from the Hadoop lib directory (it's only pulled in
transitively from ZooKeeper).
export HADOOP_USER_CLASSPATH_FIRST=true

and it solved the problem.

Posted by Slava Markeyev <sl...@upsight.com>.