Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by "Stock, Ingemar" <In...@Philotech.de> on 2013/08/01 07:09:10 UTC

Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm

Hi all,

I want to reduce package dependencies of couchdb. Is there any way to
get rid of some rpm packages? When I install couchdb on a fresh minimal
CentOS installation yum installs about 70 packages. Has anybody
experience with stripping down erlang to the required parts?

Thanks,
Ingemar

Re: Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm

Posted by Peter Lemenkov <le...@gmail.com>.
2013/8/1 Stock, Ingemar <In...@philotech.de>:
> Hi Peter,
>
> there is no technical reason to do

Ok, got that. Then just leave everything as is.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.

Re: Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.
On Aug 2, 2013, at 2:33 AM, Peter Lemenkov <le...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is it possible to get rpm not to depend on a full GUI erlang install?
>
> Sure it's possible. You just need to rebuild Erlang rpms without GUI.

We did this a few years ago for the original Couchbase Mobile (which was literally a port of CouchDB 1.1 to iOS and Android.) It takes some work, but you can strip things down pretty far. For reference, our old iOS Erlang repo is here:
	https://github.com/couchbaselabs/iErl14/tree/master
(We haven’t touched or used this in a long time, so I don’t think we can help with questions, sorry!)

—Jens

Re: Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm

Posted by Peter Lemenkov <le...@gmail.com>.

AW: Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm

Posted by "Stock, Ingemar" <In...@Philotech.de>.
https://www.erlang-solutions.com/downloads/download-erlang-otp
>and the spidermonkey from http://bigcouch.cloudant.com/use.

Yes, I think building my own erlang release is the way to go. I will try
it next week.

Thanks

Re: Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 1 August 2013 09:41, Stock, Ingemar <In...@philotech.de> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> there is no technical reason to do this but I'm working in the aviation industry and there is the philosophy: put only things in the aircraft you really need. This should improve reliability and reduce vulnerability. I have to argue why I need a library/package and I'm having problems to argue why I need libX11 etc. The few megabytes are not my problem my problem it's the environment I'm working.

Is it possible to get rpm not to depend on a full GUI erlang install?
This is likely what pulls in most of the X11* related stuff. This is
standard/possible on debian etc but I don't know how the split is done
for redhat-alike distros.

Alternatively, if you're in the Aviation industry consider rolling
your own release with this erlang
https://www.erlang-solutions.com/downloads/download-erlang-otp  and
the spidermonkey from http://bigcouch.cloudant.com/use .

A+
Dave

RE: Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm

Posted by "Stock, Ingemar" <In...@Philotech.de>.
Hi Peter,

there is no technical reason to do this but I'm working in the aviation industry and there is the philosophy: put only things in the aircraft you really need. This should improve reliability and reduce vulnerability. I have to argue why I need a library/package and I'm having problems to argue why I need libX11 etc. The few megabytes are not my problem my problem it's the environment I'm working.

I would also love to do a simple "yum install couchdb" and let the package manager do the rest but I can't.

Ingemar

> I want to reduce package dependencies of couchdb. Is there any way to
> get rid of some rpm packages? When I install couchdb on a fresh minimal
> CentOS installation yum installs about 70 packages. Has anybody
> experience with stripping down erlang to the required parts?

You shouldn't do that. That's the point of packaging - automatic
dependency tracking, functional consistency, and system
reproducibility. Do you have any technical reasoning behind your
intention? I mean maybe you concerned about additional few megabytes
of HDD size, insecure packages within the dependency chain, or
anything else.

Posted by Peter Lemenkov <le...@gmail.com>.