Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Thorsten Heit <th...@vkb.de> on 2012/05/08 15:47:11 UTC

Some questions about Webby

Hi,

today I decided to give Webby a try. Apart from Webby Core I also
installed the embedded Jetty 8.x container. So far, so good.

Some questions:

a) How does Webby deal with dependencies having their scope set to
"provided"?

Our applications are mostly WARs / EARs that are deployed into WebSphere
Application Server 7.x. Therefore a couple of dependencies such as
javax.servlet:servlet-api or javax.mail:mail are specified in the
pom.xml's with scope "provided".

Using such an application with the embedded Jetty container results in
ClassNotFoundExceptions; using a local Tomcat 7.x installation (on which I
have the necessary jars copied into the lib folder) works, although it
seems to me to take a bit longer for startup.

b) Can I use Webby to debug web applications via HTTPS?

The locally installed Tomcat instance is already configured for accepting
SSL connections. This works well as long as I'm debugging my application
via Eclipse, WTP and m2eclipse-wtp, but obviously not when using Webby.
Creating a run or debug configuration lets me only choose a normal HTTP
port, but there's nothing about HTTPS...

Regards

Thorsten

RE: Some questions about Webby

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Another great tool to have in your toolbelt

IMHO: most IDEs (not only eclipse) will allow debugging HTTP 1.0/HTTP 1.1 Connections

i havent seen any tool except openssl and curl for debugging SSL connections ..picture the following 2 scenarios

Client has wrong key for cert or vice-versa..happens alot with self-signed certs..how to debug this except for logging?
Server has wrong cipher for client public-key algo...so when handshake fails and key-exchange doesnt happen..how to debug?
Saludos desde EEUU!
Martin
Porfavor..no altere o interrumpir esta communicacion..Gracias

Re: Re: Some questions about Webby

Posted by Thorsten Heit <th...@vkb.de>.
Hi Miguel,

> Did you manage to figure out this? I've just asked the exact same
> thing in m2e's mailing list!

No, and I haven't used Webby since then anymore... :-)

I just read your mail on m2e, and Benjamin told you a workaround that
sounds good, although I have to admit that I didn't try it...

Posted by Miguel Almeida <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Thorsten,

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> today I decided to give Webby a try. Apart from Webby Core I also
> installed the embedded Jetty 8.x container. So far, so good.

I have to imagine that you will have better success with this line of
questioning in an Eclipse M2E users list or some Sonatype user list.
There may even be a Webby user list somewhere if you dig.

Webby has nothing to do with ASF or Apache Maven itself.

Wayne