Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz> on 2003/03/21 10:47:45 UTC

Re: [POLL] Deprecation of the OBJECT_DATA column in TURBINE_USER table

I'm using a horrible hack because I couldn't face extending TurbineUser
when doing that was a bit of a mission. It would make my code much more
efficient if I used the DBSecurityService or Henning's new
TorqueSecurityService so I'll take this as a prompt to get on with it!

Go ahead.

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 04:19, Quinton McCombs wrote:
> The use of perm scope pull tools and storing data in the TurbineUser
> using the setPerm() method would be affected by this change.
>
> Both of these cause data to be serialized into the OBJECT_DATA column in
> the TURBINE_USER database table.  Since Torque (actually Village) has
> issues using the BLOB datatype, there is an upper limit to the amount of
> data that can be stored in this manner.  Everything will work fine until
> you hit this limit then you will start getting database errors.
>
> The downsides to using setPerm() in TurbineUser are discussed in the
> extending turbine user how to.  To summarize, this data can not be used
> to select from the database and is very difficult to extact using a
> third party tool that accessed the database directly.
>
> It is a very simple process to start storing this data in database
> columns using the DBSecurityService.  It is even easier if you use the
> new TorqueSecurityService that Henning wrote which is availiable in 2.3.
>
> If you truly have a need for perm scope tools, you can get the same
> functionality using the new authorized scope tool in 2.3.  Just like the
> perm scope tool, the authorized tool is initialized with an instance of
> the user object.  During the initialization of the tool, you can get any
> data that you need to maintain state across logins from the user object.
> Just add any data that you previously stored in the perm tool to the
> user object using database columns to store your data.
>
> I am proposing that the use of the OBJECT_DATA column be deprecated in
> 2.3.  Is there anyone that this will cause a problem for?

Peter

Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz>