Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Rackimuthu <ra...@alopa.com> on 2005/10/24 08:50:00 UTC

Is there any way to set read timeout on JDBC connection ?

 Hi,

      How are you? When the network  connectivity between the machine
      where Database is running and where the application is running  breaks,
      the query executed using the old connection handle is not timing out.
      Is there any way to set read timeout on JDBC connection ?
      Basically, is there any thing like
          "torque.database.default.inactivity-timeout=360000"  ?

      FYI,  Oracle JDBC thin Driver is used in our application.

      Totally new to this field, sorry for asking this basic question

      Thank you very much for your help in advance.

 Regards,

 Racki

Re: Is there any way to set read timeout on JDBC connection ?

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
I am not sure what you are looking for. Are you looking for reclaiming the
handle on the client or on the database side ?
On the database side, there is nothing you can do that I am aware of. But
the tcp timeout should kick in at some time, causing some kind of network
error and thus the handle should be thrown away anyway.
On the client side, the same is true. However, you do not want the broken
connection to be returned into the pool. To avoid this, use validation of
the connection. See

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/configuration.html

for details (All the dbcp configuration parameters can be set in the
Torque runtime configuration file, with the prefix
torque.dsfactory.<dbname>.pool)

By the way, please do not send questions regarding the usage of Torque to
the dev list. All the developers are lurking on the user list as well.

     Thomas