Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Kelly Moran <km...@hotmail.com> on 2005/04/07 23:18:30 UTC

Is Lenya right for me?

Hi!

I just recently stubbled upon the lenya project and am wondering if it might work for a project I am working on.  I'm hoping some of you more familiar with it can tell me if its worth considering.  I need a basic CMS.  I want to have global content managed by the CMS.  This global content will be displayed on multiple websites.  Each website has its own presentation style. The presentation style for each website is managed by other people.  I only control the content they are able to display.

Is Lenya a good choice for a basic CMS?  I don't even need workflow for this.  I mainly want to be able to change content on my side and have it automatically reflected on all of the micro-sites.

Is XML + XSLT the best way to build the microsites or is there an alternative I should consider? Again each microsite should be able to vary the presentation style, as well as possibly the navigation.

I welcome any suggestions!

Kelly

Re: Is Lenya right for me?

Posted by Kelly Moran <km...@hotmail.com>.

> if you are looking to have what is basically a root site and a family of
> derived sites, that is what the university of zurich publication does,
> which you can get from http://wyona.org

This is what I'm looking for but I'd like the derived sites updated when the
root site is updates.  I'm looking the uni of zurich publication.  Can you
explain the different pubs? unizh, unitemplate, unipublic and eltemplate?

I'm not sure this is exactly what I'm looking for since I would like 1
library of content used by mulitple presentations.

Re: Is Lenya right for me?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Kelly Moran wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just recently stubbled upon the lenya project and am wondering if it might work for a project I am working on.  I'm hoping some of you more familiar with it can tell me if its worth considering.  I need a basic CMS.  I want to have global content managed by the CMS.  This global content will be displayed on multiple websites.  Each website has its own presentation style. The presentation style for each website is managed by other people.  I only control the content they are able to display.
>
> Is Lenya a good choice for a basic CMS?  I don't even need workflow for this.  I mainly want to be able to change content on my side and have it automatically reflected on all of the micro-sites.

if you are looking to have what is basically a root site and a family of
derived sites, that is what the university of zurich publication does,
which you can get from http://wyona.org

> Is XML + XSLT the best way to build the microsites or is there an alternative I should consider? Again each microsite should be able to vary the presentation style, as well as possibly the navigation.

CSS is preferrable for styling, XSLT for structural changes.

Re: Is Lenya right for me?

Posted by Kelly Moran <km...@hotmail.com>.
I'm looking more at pulling the content. It's very similiar to building a
global site for a project and then letting every country use the content
from the global site to build their own websites.  My main requirements are:

    Content that gets updated on the global site is also updated on the
country sites
    Country sites are allowed to pick and choose their content.
    Country sites are allowed to change their navigation/site structure
    Country webmesters only have access and knowledge of
html/xml/dreamweaver type skills

I'm considering using Lenya for the global content.  It is my understanding
that the content is actually in xml format.  So then I need a combination of
XML/XSLT/CSS to build the global presentation site as well as the country
sites.  However much like dreamweaver type templates I imagine there will be
some parts of a page that shouldn't be editable by the countries.

Re: Is Lenya right for me?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.