Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/08/05 20:58:50 UTC

Re: DTD PUBLIC ID resolution

Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have a mechanism that maps some known PUBLIC IDs from the
> <!DOCUMENT> declaration to the corresponding local URIs (similar to
> SGML catalog files). This would allow one to write XML files with the
> "canonical" URI for the used DTDs and still use a local copy for
> validation and default value gathering, which increases both
> reliability and speed.
>
> Do you think such a mechanism makes sense?

Sure it does, it's called "catalog" and it goes back to the old SGML
days.

> Has anybody seen such a thing implemented yet?

I'm pretty sure all good parsers implement one (I know Xerces does)

> Where could/should such a thing be hooked into the C2 processing chain?

If we use Xerces, we can use their API and provide the catalog
ourselves.... or use directly SAX EntityResolver...hmmmm, probably
better using SAX anyway...

> Where and how should the configuration, i.e. the mapping from PUBLIC
> to SYSTEM be stored?

Good question. I haven't thought about it (yet). Should the sitemap
contain the semantics to describe schema catalogs as well?

> I don't mean to distract you from important things but perhaps we
> should think about it before every API and config file spec is set
> into stone.

Totally. Thanks for bringing this up.

> I'd be willing to contribute some code if/when I can figure out how
> the C2 internals really are supposed to work.

Same here :)

Anyway, I'll dive into C2 very soon, expect tons of
"what-the-hell-is-this?" :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: DTD PUBLIC ID resolution

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> >
> > I'd be willing to contribute some code if/when I can figure out how
> > the C2 internals really are supposed to work.
>
> Same here :)
>
> Anyway, I'll dive into C2 very soon, expect tons of
> "what-the-hell-is-this?" :)

I would totally appreciate that :-)
Feel free to ask!

Giacomo