Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu> on 2011/07/03 04:32:45 UTC

Mysql Java Connector Alternatives

Hi All,

One of our incubation goals [1] is to resolve the the incompatible license dependencies. AFAIK, the biggest or only incompatible dependency is the mysql-connector-jave which is GPL. Suggestions for alternatives?

Cheers,
Suresh

[1] - http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AiravataProposal

Re: Mysql Java Connector Alternatives

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu>.
On Jul 3, 2011, at 7:28 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 3 July 2011 03:32, Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> One of our incubation goals [1] is to resolve the the incompatible license dependencies. AFAIK, the biggest or only incompatible dependency is the mysql-connector-jave which is GPL. Suggestions for alternatives?
>
> Is this the right question?
>
> Do you *have* to connect to MySQL or can you replace the dependency on
> MySQL with another database?

> This has the added advantage of not requiring a user to jump through
> installation hoops in order to make the all important first tests.

Airavata is not married to MySQL, and I think considering other databases is certainly a good idea. One of the goal for Airavata in Apache is to broaden the community and having tiny steps of evaluation will greatly help.

> If the latter then I would suggest using Apache Derby as the default
> database. This enables you to bundle the database with Airavata, but
> if someone wants to use MySQL they can simply swap it out in their
> deployment. This is the approach we took in Wookie and it's worked
> really well. Out of the box Wookie runs with Derby but we provide
> instructions (and config scripts) for working with MySQL.

The only hesitation I have is some sour experiences with using hsqldb in production. Airavata is used as a kernel in large scale deployments and we have seen usage for instance in the messaging system of processing 1 billion requests (which interact heavily with databases) during high activity times. I am not knowledgable enough of scalability and reliability of other databases. But what you said, is very appealing, having Derby as a startup and providing mysql configuration might be a good trade off.

But I am not a database expert to judge these but I would vote on derby merely form a packaging and quick start stand point. I will let others dev's jump in to see if they would like to try Derby.

Folks, who is willing to jump and try derby in XRegistry? Message Box? Workflow interpreter? message broker (subscription and messages)? Workflow Monitoring? Information Services?

Suresh

Re: Mysql Java Connector Alternatives

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 3 July 2011 03:32, Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> One of our incubation goals [1] is to resolve the the incompatible license dependencies. AFAIK, the biggest or only incompatible dependency is the mysql-connector-jave which is GPL. Suggestions for alternatives?

Is this the right question?

Do you *have* to connect to MySQL or can you replace the dependency on
MySQL with another database?

If the latter then I would suggest using Apache Derby as the default
database. This enables you to bundle the database with Airavata, but
if someone wants to use MySQL they can simply swap it out in their
deployment. This is the approach we took in Wookie and it's worked
really well. Out of the box Wookie runs with Derby but we provide
instructions (and config scripts) for working with MySQL.

This has the added advantage of not requiring a user to jump through
installation hoops in order to make the all important first tests.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: Embedded Database choice for Airavata

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 to checking out Derby. I haven't used it extensively, but have heard
that it scales...

Cheers,
Chris

On Jul 12, 2011, at 2:02 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 12 July 2011 01:46, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> In any case,  do folks have any practical experiences and preferences over any option? Just note that Airavata has more scalability and reliability requirements over performance.
>
> The only practical experience I have of Derby is as the default
> database for Apache Wookie. As far as I am aware it has not been
> tested at scale in this project, certainly I have not done so.
> However, it is I that did the migration from MySQL to Derby and I
> found it an easy process with no surprises around the corner.
>
> In general I would recommend using an Apache project over another
> third party project. Mainly because it's easier to be heard if we need
> to engage with the project community. Over the coming years Airavata
> contributors are almost certain to find themselves at the same events
> as Derby contributors. Furthermore, even though merit does not
> transfer from one ASF project to the next, it does send a strong
> signal that you are a real open source contributor and thus are likely
> to attract attention to your communications with the project (not that
> Wookie has needed to engage with the Derby community in its use).
>
> Ross
>
> --
> Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
> Programme Leader (Open Development)

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Embedded Database choice for Airavata

Posted by Lahiru Gunathilake <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I have some performance comparison experience with Derby vs H2 but I
strongly agree with Ross's point to use another Apache project rather moving
to another open source project unless there is a very big difference.

I believe going with Derby will be a nice approach !

Lahiru

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu>.
On Jul 12, 2011, at 5:02 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 12 July 2011 01:46, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> In any case,  do folks have any practical experiences and preferences over any option? Just note that Airavata has more scalability and reliability requirements over performance.
>
> The only practical experience I have of Derby is as the default
> database for Apache Wookie. As far as I am aware it has not been
> tested at scale in this project, certainly I have not done so.
> However, it is I that did the migration from MySQL to Derby and I
> found it an easy process with no surprises around the corner.
This is very good to hear.
> In general I would recommend using an Apache project over another
> third party project. Mainly because it's easier to be heard if we need
> to engage with the project community. Over the coming years Airavata
> contributors are almost certain to find themselves at the same events
> as Derby contributors. Furthermore, even though merit does not
> transfer from one ASF project to the next, it does send a strong
> signal that you are a real open source contributor and thus are likely
> to attract attention to your communications with the project (not that
> Wookie has needed to engage with the Derby community in its use).
+ 1 for all of above.

I found interesting differences when I googled through. The third party comparisons widely varied and nothing conclusive [1][2][3]. As expected each of the database claimed its the best [4][5][6].

So I do not have any bias and Ross's and Lahiru's arguments are strong enough for me to pick Derby. Since I did not see any objections to Derby or other suggestions, I will not call for a vote. I will create JIRA tickets for this porting.

Suresh

[1] - http://www.encorewiki.org/display/encore/Open+Source+Databases+Comparison
[2] - http://database-management-systems.findthebest.com/compare/6-15-16/Apache-Derby-vs-HSQLDB-vs-H2
[3] - http://www.sukhvinder.co.uk/articles/design-concepts/database-comparison-table-h2-hsqldb-derby-postgresql-mysql
[4] - http://www.h2database.com/html/performance.html
[5] - http://db.apache.org/ojb/docu/guides/performance.html
[6] - http://hsqldb.org/images/imola_retrieve.jpg

Re: Embedded Database choice for Airavata

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

To refresh us all, we discussed earlier on this list about mysql alternatives [1] and the conclusion was to go with embedded database for default configuration and provide documentation on how to change the database to mysql at deployment time. Derby was discussed as a viable option, but before we jump into implementation I want to solicit feedback from every one. I do not have any recent first-hand experience with any of them, so my vote will be +1 to who ever convinces me that they are convinced about one over other :)

The three most popular in-memory databases Derby, H2, HSQLDB all have license compatibilities. db40 is GPL. Java DB seems to be based on Derby and ALV2 but could not figure out why we should use Java DB and why not just the Derby.

[1] - http://markmail.org/thread/3bzlnwr75mylh7mu

Re: Mysql Java Connector Alternatives

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu>.
I agree with Patanachai and Simon's observations. But I see good support for Derby integration. I am fully supportive with an assumption that it will bring down the initial configuration steps. I want to focus on other aspects of Airavata but will add JIRA tasks for the components which will need Derby integration. Soliciting volunteers in advance to close them.

Suresh

Posted by Raminderjeet Singh <rs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by "ptangcha@umail.iu.edu" <pt...@umail.iu.edu>.
Hi,

Posted by Simon Courtenage <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 3 July 2011 22:24, Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Simon Courtenage wrote:
>
>> Quite a few apache projects have dependencies on the official mysql java
>> jdbc connector, in the sense that their product requires it to connect to
>> mysql databases.  Tomcat is one, for example, as is, I believe, JRC (the
>> source code for JRC has a comment that mentions org.gjt.mm.mysql.driver,
>> which is an old precursor of the official mysql jdbc driver).  So does
>> airavata need to be different?
>
> Hello Simon,
>
> Thank you for chiming in. No Airavata need not be different, I am asking out of ignorance. Do you know how these projects handle the GPL license of the official mysql-connector? I tried to poke around but could not find a concrete example.

There should be no concrete example. Apache projects cannot, under any
circumstances, have a dependency on GPL code. However, they can
require the user to download and install such code directly.

The MySQL connector does have an exception for the Apache License, but
as far as I'm aware that makes no difference to our policy.

> Can you please pass a reference which has a pom dependency of this jar (either compile or run time)?

Yes, please do, the legal stuff always seems to have exceptions in it.
I go with the conservative interpretation of policy at all times,
however if there are examples out there then we can take this to legal
discuss and figure out why there is an exception in that case.

Ross

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu>.
On Jul 3, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Simon Courtenage wrote:

> Quite a few apache projects have dependencies on the official mysql java
> jdbc connector, in the sense that their product requires it to connect to
> mysql databases.  Tomcat is one, for example, as is, I believe, JRC (the
> source code for JRC has a comment that mentions org.gjt.mm.mysql.driver,
> which is an old precursor of the official mysql jdbc driver).  So does
> airavata need to be different?

Hello Simon,

Thank you for chiming in. No Airavata need not be different, I am asking out of ignorance. Do you know how these projects handle the GPL license of the official mysql-connector? I tried to poke around but could not find a concrete example. Can you please pass a reference which has a pom dependency of this jar (either compile or run time)?

Suresh

Posted by Simon Courtenage <co...@gmail.com>.