Posted to dev@orc.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2015/08/07 18:35:01 UTC

[VOTE] Create ORC bylaws

All,
  I made the final edits that Lefty asked for, so I think it is time to
vote. Here are the proposed bylaws:

https://github.com/omalley/orc/blob/2964e969d2e358ed9a54c882a2d117271b368a94/site/develop/bylaws.md

Clearly, I'm +1 for them.

.. Owen

Re: [VOTE] Create ORC bylaws

Posted by Aliaksei Sandryhaila <as...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Create ORC bylaws

Posted by Prasanth J <j....@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks
Prasanth

Re: [VOTE] Create ORC bylaws

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Alan.

Re: [VOTE] Create ORC bylaws

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Lefty Leverenz
<le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> -0
>
> Although overall these are great bylaws (kudos to Owen), I still have
> qualms about the lazy 2/3 majority for removing a committer or PMC member.
> I would prefer consensus approval but I understand that removals are
> extremely rare, so I'll go along with the lazy 2/3 majority rule.

It's unheard of, really. The board changed the foundation bylaws in
2013 so a PMC could only request that the board forcibly remove
someone [1,2]. -C

[1] Summary from announcement:
"REMOVALS
Any [forced] removal requires a decision by the Board. That typically
means passing a resolution at our next Board meeting. The PMC Chair
should email board@ with the removal request and a
rationale/explanation for the removal."
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newpmc
"Typically, PMC members who are no longer able to participate will
resign from the PMC. However, if a PMC chooses to remove one of its
members, then it must request the Board to make that decision (which
is typically done with a resolution at the Board's next meeting). The
request to the Board's mailing list should provide a rationale for the
decision."

Re: [VOTE] Create ORC bylaws

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
-0

Although overall these are great bylaws (kudos to Owen), I still have
qualms about the lazy 2/3 majority for removing a committer or PMC member.
I would prefer consensus approval but I understand that removals are
extremely rare, so I'll go along with the lazy 2/3 majority rule.

-- Lefty

Re: [VOTE] Create ORC bylaws

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
+1 -C