Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk> on 2000/07/20 17:51:29 UTC

Re: installation question again

Hello again,

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, ROUSSY, ISABELLE wrote:

> doing make test I received :
> [snip]
> /usr/bin/perl t/TEST 0
> Can't locate LWP/UserAgent.pm in @INC [snip] at t/TEST line 48.

You really should get hold of LWP (libwww-perl) so that make test
can do its stuff.

> and this bit of message outside the make > /suchfile
> syntax error of line 3 of
> /usr/local/etc/mod_perl-1.24/t/conf/httpd.conf:
> invalid command '=pod', perhaps mis-spelled or define by a module not
> included in the server configuration

This message usually indicates that you have tried to get a `light'
Apache binary (that is an httpd which does not have mod_perl either
compiled in or dynamically loaded) to read a configuration file (that
is usually httpd.conf, or one of the files specified in httpd.conf)
which contains directives that only mod_perl can understand.  =pod is
a perl comment of course, and unless mod_perl is installed into httpd,
Apache won't be able to recognize it.

> the httpd.pid file exists only if httpd is running and it is located at
> /apache_1.3.9/logs/httpd.pid

That's fine.

> >  What is the compiler you are using?
>
> is gcc compiler (egcs-1.1.2) the correct answer?

I asked you first.  Mine says this if i do `gcc -v':

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1/egcs-2.90.29/specs
gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)

so you seem to have a later version than I do, which shuold be OK.

> > It must be the same one that built your Perl.  Did you build Perl?
>
> no I didn't it was already there with RedHat 6.0 version 5.005_03, is it
> too old? maybe because it is from rpm the sources are not there?

To quote Stas, "Red Hat rpms suck".  I've never used them but I
respect Stas' views.  On the other hand 5.005_03 is fine if the right
compiler made it.  Do `perl -V' to find out.  (That's one of the things
it asks you to do in .../mod_perl-1.24/SUPPORT:).

> > > # make install
> >
> > Did you eventually see the crude-looking box with some text telling
> > you that you had successfully installed Apache?
>
> yep but just irght under the box there is also this message:
[snip]
> =head2 Thu Jul 20 09:32:59 2000: C<Module> L<mod_perl>

This is strange.  Your message to me was dated

Wed 19 Jul 2000 11:45:01 -0400

and yet you have a log entry almost 22 hours later.  It is most
important in networks of all kinds that the computers know the correct
time.  You should install ntpd or something so that things like
caching and password expiry can work properly.  This should not
however affect the ability of the Apache server to serve documents.

> >  Did you check the date and time of last modification of the
> > binary that was produced to be sure that you made it and it's the
> > right one?  How big is the file?  A mod_perl binary is a lot
> > bigger (say around 5Mbyte) than a normal Apache (say 1Mbyte)
> > because of the Perl interpreter it contains.
> >

> [snip] ... kidding

Then please answer the questions.  We need to know what you have made
and where you have put it so that we can know how to start it and what
to expect if and when it runs.

> > What does it say in the error_log?
>
> the error_log of apache? it says nothing!

Then you have not looked in the right log or you have not started
Apache at all.  When Apache starts it always makes at least one log
entry (to say what it is and when it started) unless you configure it
to send the logs to /dev/null or it can't write them or something
silly like that.

> > You can run `httpd -l' to see the modules that are compiled into your
> > httpd without starting it.
> >

> Compiled-in modules:
>   http_core.c
>   mod_env.c
>   mod_log_config.c
>   mod_mime.c
>   mod_negotiation.c
>   mod_status.c
>   mod_info.c
>   mod_include.c
>   mod_autoindex.c
>   mod_dir.c
>   mod_cgi.c
>   mod_asis.c
>   mod_imap.c
>   mod_actions.c
>   mod_userdir.c
>   mod_alias.c
>   mod_access.c
>   mod_auth.c
>   mod_setenvif.c
>   mod_php4.c
>   mod_frontpage.c

mod_perl is conspicuous by its absence from this list.  Also absent is
mod_so.c (loader for dynamic shared objects or DSO) so there is no way
that this Apache can ever do mod_perl stuff.  Haven't you tried using
the makepl_args.mod_perl that I sent you?  It will either build a
mod_perl Apache or fail with something that I might understand.

> it is an intranet

Maybe you could connect a machine to the net temporarily?  Otherwise
you have to continue with my remote guesswork and your reading.

> > Stas and I left them out of the Guide until about the end of May this
>
> Owwwww  you are the mod_perl guy in person ... je!!

Not at all.  I just wanted to take my share of the blame.  I rewrote
the mod_perl Guide for Stas because English is his third language.
Trouble is he keeps on changing it so its kindofa moving target (but
that's our problem:).

73,
Ged.