Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Ron Gavlin <rg...@yahoo.com> on 2007/06/13 20:14:49 UTC

SDO integration with external projects

One way to expand the visibility and adoption of SDO within the broader community is to improve its integration story with external projects. A few projects in particular seem obvious, namely the Spring Framework, Apache CXF, and Apache Axis2. Some of this work might simply be documentation. In other cases, integration/glue code might be needed. Is this type of work outside the scope of Tuscany SDO? If not, would Tuscany SDO consider hosting this type of integration code until such a time as the external projects decided to host it themselves? Any thoughts?

- Ron

Re: SDO integration with external projects

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Ron,
  this sounds just the sort of thing I'd like to see beginning to happen,
and I'd like to be involved in doing it too.  Currently I'm finding little
time to raise my head above the fundamentals of getting a spec compliant
release out there.  But we should be looking outward and thinking about a
integration stories.  Are you active in these spaces too?    This is just
the sort of thing that could really give the SDO community a real boost.
Have you any suggestions about what would be good first steps?  Given that
I'd be keen to see this kind of thing happen,  I can't immediately see any
reason why we couldn't host integration code.  I think the key thing would
be getting together a core of people who were prepared to pick this up and
run with it.

Regards, Kelvin.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On 6/13/07, Ron Gavlin <rg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> One way to expand the visibility and adoption of SDO within the broader
> community is to improve its integration story with external projects. A few
> projects in particular seem obvious, namely the Spring Framework, Apache
> CXF, and Apache Axis2. Some of this work might simply be documentation. In
> other cases, integration/glue code might be needed. Is this type of work
> outside the scope of Tuscany SDO? If not, would Tuscany SDO consider hosting
> this type of integration code until such a time as the external projects
> decided to host it themselves? Any thoughts?
>
> - Ron

Yes! +1, would be a really really good thing to do.

In fact, I think we really *must* to do this for Axis2 to sort out our SCA
Java2WSDL/WSDL2Java tooling story properly as right now its a bit of a mess.
The Axis2 databinding framework is designed to be completely plugable but
instead of using that the Tuscany Java2WSDL and WSDL2Java tools copied and
changed various Axis2 classes to add in SDO support. That doesn't work that
well and always causes problems every time we update the Axis2 release we
use. Making SDO a first class Axis2 databinding would fix those problems, it
would also enable the Tuscany Java2WSDL/WSDL2Java tools to work with the
other Axis2 supported databindings like JAXB, and it would "expand the
visibility and adoption of SDO within the broader community".

Would you like to help get it done? I'd been planning on focusing on WS in
the release after the upcoming SCA 0.91 release so the timing for this is
good. It needs a bit of new integration code but its not a huge amount. We
could host it in Tuscany to start with but probably eventually donate it to
be included within Axis2 itself. We've even an old JIRA where this almost
got started on and that points to some emails with more detail:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1038

   ...ant