Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by ael721 <ad...@saic.com> on 2012/11/29 17:46:23 UTC

ServiceMix 4 communicate with external WebService

This question might be a little broad, but it's because I have no idea where
to start.  Currently, I have a WebService which accepts HTTP Post requests,
containing byte array of WAV files. This works completely fine. It then
gives back XML results of WAV file metadata. I test this by sending curl
commands and looking at the output given back. The question I have is, in my
opinion, a very basic ServiceMix question. It's just this one part I'm stuck
on. How would I send this curl command to ServiceMix, and have it forward it
along to the external WebService? In the future, I will have numerous
WebServices, that give different types of data about the WAV file, in
different XML formats, and I'll want ServiceMix to handle routing and
parsing the results accordingly. Before I can embark on that, I need to
figure how the heck to just send a single request through ServiceMix, and to
a WebService. Is it a WAR file that sits in ServiceMix deploy? An OSGi
bundle? Should I use CXF?  A blueprint.xml file? I truly have no idea, so
ANY help to steer me in the right direction, would be great.

Re: ServiceMix 4 communicate with external WebService

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

If you're completely new to Apache ServiceMix, I would recommend starting
with the Quickstart Guide at
http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/4.4.x/quickstart/index.html - that will
give a very generic idea of what ServiceMix can do.  The sample routes in
the guide are using files, directories and JMS queues, but if you look at
the Camel routes, you'll notice those are just URIs in the XML file.  For
your scenario, you will have to change these and use e.g. a jetty:http://...
URI to listen for a HTTP request and handle that.

The second bit of documentation that might be useful is
http://servicemix.apache.org/docs/4.4.x/camel/index.html, which explains a
bit more about using Camel inside ServiceMix and it also mentions how to
install the extra components you need.  E.g. before you can use the
jetty:http:// endpoint before, you will have to type "features:install
camel-jetty" to make that component available in Apache ServiceMix.

Once you have these basics working, you can start combining all of Camel's
EIPs (http://camel.apache.org/enterprise-integration-patterns.html) and
components (http://camel.apache.org/components.html) to build your routes.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen