Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2010/06/03 13:06:55 UTC

RE: release process for our plugins

To me, a plugin means an add-on, in addition to, extra. However some of our
'plugins' are in fact required if Forrest is to be useful. Anyway,

The plugins (not whiteboard plugins) I think as you say, we could bundle
this
time around, it also shows that the plugin versions we bundle are guaranteed
to work with that Forrest release.

If this was somewhere else, where folks create plugins and work on them
alone
and maintain them alone independent of Forrest, then it would be easier, but
we
don't and it seems every plugin we have has to be maintained by forrest devs
in addition to the core in order to get a release out. That seems wrong to
me,
it gets harder each time as we accumulate more plugins. So that means I
guess I'd rather plugins be done separately of a core Forrest release in the
future - if a plugin doesn't keep up, so be it I guess until someone wants
to take on maintaining it.

For this time, to get a release done quickly, I'm ok with doing what we have
always
done, as long as meets with guidelines.

Gav...