Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2016/11/21 09:15:49 UTC

Default log color ( was discussion at aries)

I fully agree with Brad that the default color is not very readable. It
also makes it difficult for users to change their terminal colors on
their client.

So I propose we change the default log color to the default terminal
color and only use other colors to highlight special things like exceptions.

If we agree on this I will open a jira issue (if Brad does not do it
before) and change the color.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Default log color ( was discussion at aries)

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
For me the main problem is that the default color is not the terminal color.
The user can easily tune the terminal color and background on his
terminal client but he can not
tune our special colors there.

No color is good if you want to completely work without the colors but I
think the more typical case
is that you want colors for special highlights but not for the whole log.

I just looked into my gnome terminal config. It seems to provide
settings for a default color and a highlight color.
So one possible solution might be that we limit ourselves to just use
these two colors in most places. This would give the
user a much better control on the client side. Of course it limits a bit
what we do but I think that might be a case where such a self
limitation makes sense.

WDYT?

Christian

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christian,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Default log color ( was discussion at aries)

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
I think we should add a few snapshots to the jira to see several options.
In particular, the theme should be seen on both black and white terminals
to see what it gives.
Here are a few possibilities:
  https://jeanchristophegay.com/de-la-couleur-dans-les-logs/

I like this one which should be readable on white terminals too I think (to
be tested).

--
Guillaume Nodet

Email: gnodet@redhat.com