Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roland Rabben <ro...@no.scala.com> on 2007/02/18 12:14:42 UTC

Connection pool problem

I am looking for a way to assign a minimum number of connection threads
to a specific part of my web application.

>From what I understand the HTTP connector's maxThreads setting applies
to everything using that connector. I want to be able to set aside a
part of the connection pool for certain requests.

My application has many clients that perform automatic download of new
files and send status information back to the server. It also has an
administration GUI. My problem is when the clients use all available
connection threads, there is no more threads left for the admin GUI,
thus locking administrators out of the server.

I could make the admin GUI a separate webapp, but I don't know if that
solves my problem. I am only running one instance of Tomcat on my server
(port 80), and I would like to keep it that way.

Please advice.

Regards
Roland Rabben

RE: Connection pool problem

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Roland Rabben [mailto:roland.rabben@no.scala.com]
> Subject: Connection pool problem
>
> My application has many clients that perform automatic download of new
> files and send status information back to the server.

AFAIK, there's nothing in the Tomcat configuration that provides per-app
(or sub-app) throttling.  However, within your webapp, you should be
able to keep track of the number of concurrent downloads (e.g., with a
static synchronized integer in the associated servlet), and simply
reject requests that exceed your desired limit.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.