Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Michael Felt <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/09 17:45:45 UTC

Re: Making a binary distribution of apache 2.2.14 on Aix 6.1

Actually, the reason I started this thread is because I wanted to start
making builds that used IBM's installp format for distribution rather than
RPM - which is the format chosen for most of the AIX toolbox. Imho much of
the difficulity the libtool devs have with the AIX platform (as generally
the solution is playing with libtool, or loading a newer version) is this
mixed install environment.

I have been trying to develop and package without using any of the AIX
toolbox as I do not want any dependencies on it. Instead, I shall, as
suggested towards the beginning of this thread, make my own packages to
fulfill dependancies and/or specify IBM installp packages (i.e. libraries
installed into /usr/lib and maybe /opt/lib).

There are a couple of other respositories out there - my site - when I
finally get it assembled - will be yet another, but with forums behind it so
that people can share experiences.

Michael

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Michael Felt wrote:

> Actually, the reason I started this thread is because I wanted to start
> making builds that used IBM's installp format for distribution rather
> than RPM - which is the format chosen for most of the AIX toolbox. Imho
> much of the difficulity the libtool devs have with the AIX platform (as
> generally the solution is playing with libtool, or loading a newer
> version) is this mixed install environment.
>
> I have been trying to develop and package without using any of the AIX
> toolbox as I do not want any dependencies on it. Instead, I shall, as
> suggested towards the beginning of this thread, make my own packages to
> fulfill dependancies and/or specify IBM installp packages (i.e.
> libraries installed into /usr/lib and maybe /opt/lib).
>
> There are a couple of other respositories out there - my site - when I
> finally get it assembled - will be yet another, but with forums behind
> it so that people can share experiences.

One of the things that may be tripping you up is apr - for legacy
reasons, apr is shipped included with httpd v2.2.x. However, for a long
time now, binary distributions have been packaging apr and apr-util as
completely separate packages, and httpd has been typically configured
during these binary builds to use these external apr and apr-util packages.

The apr and apr-util trees in httpd are therefore ignored.

What I suggest you do is to try get AIX packaging to work on apr and
apr-util first, and when that works, attempt to get httpd to work,
depending on apr and apr-util as just-another-external-package.
Completely ignore anything in the srclib directory, and assume those are
system provided.

You'll see similar scripts for producing rpms and solaris pkg files in
the apr and apr-util trees.

Regards,
Graham