Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/15 00:59:54 UTC

VelocityStruts action messages

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure if you're subscribed to the velocity-dev list, but i
wanted to follow up on this issue:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-velocity-user/200411.mbox/%3C87llcxbxj4.fsf@alice.chrissearle.org%3E

there is a patch from Erik Engstrom
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELTOOLS-1) and i'd like to
apply it, but i was wondering if you had a better one that avoided
problems with tiles.

if you could let me know what you think, that'd be great.  i'm pushing
rapidly toward a VelocityTools 1.2 release and would like to resolve
this issue.

thanks,
nathan

Re: VelocityStruts action messages

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 10/14/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> The Struts JSP tags which process messages (<html:errors> and
> the request and if there are none there then checks the session (actually
> uses the PageContext.findAttribute(name) method which does that
> automatically). I guess theres nothing to mandate that the velocity struts
> tools have to work in the same way as the Struts tag library - and in the
> re-direct use-case, it doesn't matter anyway since only the session messages
> will persist.

no, i'll change it to mimic what the tags do.  i want the two to be
roughly equivalent.  also, that sounds slightly faster, as most of the
time, there probably won't be any session messages.

> I can't comment much on the rest of what Chris said (I don't actually use
> velocity - just lurk on the dev list) except on the "the code that
> automatically removes the messages from the session" statement. Here I was
> unclear whether Chris was referring to velocity tools code - or whats in
> Struts. There is code in struts to remove session messages (and errors)
> automatically in the RequestProcessor and as far as I'm aware there is none
> elsewhere (for completeness....session messages and errors are removed by
> the RequestProcessor if ActionMessages.isAccessed() is true). Part of the
> problem is that I don't know how velocity and tiles combines - if Chris is
> using an Action as a controller for a tiles definition, then that may
> explain why the messages are disappearing.

that's roughly what i thought.  it seems like the tags don't have to
worry about this, so the tools shouldn't either.  that's beyond their
scope.

> One other point - this issue only deals with messages, but Struts 1.2 has
> the same functionality for errors as well - so to be consistent you should
> also apply the same logic in the StrutsUtils.getErrors() method as well.

good point.  will do.

thanks for the help!