Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/26 19:58:56 UTC

Users' Wish-list

Hi everyone,

Following the excellent initiative by couch devs with the recent
feature-survey [1] [2], I figured it would be worth while to have a
permanent wish-list for just user-facing features; a place for users to put
their own ideas and feature-requests, and to vote on others'.

Such a wish-list serves two obvious purposes:
1. helping users raise awareness for their needs. I don't find JIRA
accessible or visible enough for this purpose. This would result in:
2. helping developers (and would-be developers) keep tabs on what features
the community is really missing, and which it isn't

I started a wish-list here: http://couchdbwishlist.userecho.com/. I seeded
it from Bob Newson's compilation of potential features [3], and I really
hope to see things added and voted on, and to get the ball rolling.

For those interested, some of the reasons I went with userecho:
- simple voting scheme (albeit not as informative as allourideas's)
- relatively rich text editor
- comments
- clean interface
- free (albeit as in beer)

I would more than welcome any ideas or suggestions.

Relax on,

  Alon
  (http://alon.me)

[1] http://www.allourideas.org/couchdb2012/results
[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-user/201204.mbox/browser
[3] https://gist.github.com/2387973

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
sounds great!

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Mark Hahn <ma...@hahnca.com>.
>   "partial updates" can be easy to work-around using update handlers.

I'm doing that, but extra js runs on my server and on the db.  It is messy.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Mark Hahn <ma...@hahnca.com>.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
the "partial update" feature would have the same semantics as a
document updated mediated by an update handler anyway, though more
efficient (no need to call javascript when the transformation function
is defined).

B.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Mark Hahn <ma...@hahnca.com>.
>  2. Partial doc updates

> I don't quite get #2

Simple.  Just do an `extend` on a doc instead of replacing it.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Mark Hahn <ma...@hahnca.com>.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
sounds great!

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.

Users' Wish-list

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.
Great! I've made a couple of comments.

I think it's important not only to explain what a requested feature is, but
also to detail what pain-point(s) it would address.

  Alon

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Anyone can vote on and add to the wish-list, so please go ahead and add
yours - no need to ask for permission.

  Alon

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by sleepnova <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alon,

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Hendrik Jan van Meerveld <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hello Alon,

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Hendrik Jan van Meerveld <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hello Alon,

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.
For anyone not wanting to bother with yet another site to keep up with -
there's now a feedburner RSS for suggestions and comments:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/CouchdbWishlist.

Oh, and thanks Martin, Randall, Michael and anonymous for kicking things
off.

Re: Users' Wish-list

Posted by Alon Keren <al...@gmail.com>.