Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org> on 2002/02/03 18:12:50 UTC

XPath-enabled Directory Generator

For the brave ones :) I finally managed to get some time, polish up the
code and commit an XPath-enabled directory generator in scratchpad. The
idea was to come up with a small tool helpful in many "poor man CMS"
environments, and I'm pretty satisfied with the result.

If this thingy proves to be useful enough, probably in Cocoon docs
themselves there might be no need for book.xml anymore. Maybe Stefano
would find it useful for Forrest too.

Enjoy :)

--
Gianugo Rabellino

RE: XPath-enabled Directory Generator

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
> Bernhard Huber wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> <skip/>
>
> > Yes, definitely we should start thinking about when (and how) the move
> > to Excalibur that Carsten is carrying on of the generic Cocoon
> > components (parser, XPath, source) is to be reflected in Cocoon
> > itself. I guess that Carsten is the best one to tell us if and when
> > the porting is complete and how to move the existing codebase to the
> > new package setup. Meanwhile it might be the case to switch back to
> > the Cocoon implementation so that we don't break the existing setup.
> > What do you think?
>
> Well, honesty, i think the code in exalibur is quite exactly the same as
> in cocooon/components.
> All i wanted to say:
> if xpathdirectory moves from scratchpad to the official cocoon sources,
> we should not forget to update the role files.

Yes, currently the xpath implementation is the same. But source and parser
are different in excalibur.

> As cocoon beginners will not manage to setup the cocoon.xconf correctly;
> it is some sort-of art to understand the avalon-components, and the
> cocoon-sitemap-components,
> and where all that stuff is properly configured.....
>
> Probably Carsten is the right one to initiate when the transition-train
> starts rollllliiiinnng.

Hm, probably, probably....
I'm currently highly involved in preparing our sunShine donation for Cocoon,
but we will finish this by the end of the week (hopefully).
My plan is to start the reintegration next week, so one minor push and it
will roll!

Carsten

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Bernhard Huber wrote:

> start using XPathDirectoryGenerator, cool stuff!

Hey, thanks! :)

> as it uses XPath processor of excalibur, and not of
> org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath
> anymore.
> took me some minutes, to understand that...
> maybe cocoon.roles should reflect that too, if
> org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath is deprecated...
> and javadocs in excalibur may reflect that too...

Yes, definitely we should start thinking about when (and how) the move
to Excalibur that Carsten is carrying on of the generic Cocoon
components (parser, XPath, source) is to be reflected in Cocoon itself.
I guess that Carsten is the best one to tell us if and when the porting
is complete and how to move the existing codebase to the new package
setup. Meanwhile it might be the case to switch back to the Cocoon
implementation so that we don't break the existing setup. What do you think?

Ciao,

--
Gianugo

Re: XPath-enabled Directory Generator

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,

start using XPathDirectoryGenerator, cool stuff!

for all trying to use it add, change your cocoon.xconf to:
  <xpath-processor
    role="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.xpath.XPathProcessor"
    class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.xpath.XPathProcessorImpl"
    logger="core.xpath-processor"/>

as it uses XPath processor of excalibur, and not of
org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath
anymore.
took me some minutes, to understand that...
maybe cocoon.roles should reflect that too, if
org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath is deprecated...
and javadocs in excalibur may reflect that too...

bye bernhard

Re: XPath-enabled Directory Generator

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> For the brave ones :) I finally managed to get some time, polish up the
> code and commit an XPath-enabled directory generator in scratchpad. The
> idea was to come up with a small tool helpful in many "poor man CMS"
> environments, and I'm pretty satisfied with the result.

Uh, cool. What about performances?

> If this thingy proves to be useful enough, probably in Cocoon docs
> themselves there might be no need for book.xml anymore.

That would be very cool. I don't like the concept of book.xml a lot.

> Maybe Stefano would find it useful for Forrest too.

You bet.

> Enjoy :)

Thanks :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.