Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Ioan Eugen STAN <st...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/31 22:24:51 UTC

james gsoc 2012 ideas

Hello again,

Google Summer of Code is approaching again. I guess Apache will be
selected again. I'm planning to apply for James because this is the
last year I can participate but I'm also thinking of mentoring. Haven't
decided yet.

I have two ideas for GSoC this year:

1. distributed Mailet processor using actors. I saw something like
this exists but it's not in the code base.

2. Mailet bindings for other languages. Implement Mailets in your
preferred language (Python, Ruby, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, etc.). The
idea is that most sys-admins for mail servers are not java friendly and
are more productive with the tools they know.

Cheers,
--
Ioan Eugen Stan

Re: james gsoc 2012 ideas

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
In short, I understand gsoc as a way for young student to put a foot in
the opensource world with a paid amount as grant for the time spent and
the effort for this (doing such contribution while studying is not easy).

I don't see gsoc at all as a way for someone (student,
worker/student,...) to get some additional revenue.

But that's only my point of vue, and some can have others.
However, now that I know this, I will not reiterate the gsoc experience...

Eric

Re: james gsoc 2012 ideas

Posted by lclhst <l0...@gmail.com>.
I'd say: +SOMUCH for hot configuration reload. :)

Re: james gsoc 2012 ideas

Posted by Ioan Eugen STAN <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: james gsoc 2012 ideas

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.