Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Shawn Church <sh...@boxity.com> on 2004/03/24 22:07:25 UTC

Page activation and navigation

I would like to be able to return to an origin page after activating a
target page, without hard-coding the return page in the target.  For
example, I have a list of items on a page, each with a DirectLink to an
item edit page.  After the item is edited, I would like to return to
the original item list (rebuilding it as appropriate).

I thought of storing the origin Page object as an attribute of my Visit
just prior to activating the target page, but I wonder if there may be
a better way since the Page object will not be that useful (I suppose
it may not even exist if I don't have caching enabled).  I believe the
Page is initialized to a pristine state and returned to the pool after
it drops out of the current request cycle.

I will also need to restore as much of the origin page's initial state
as possible, to be able to regenerate stateless data.  Some type of
object stack might work, but I would like it to be generic enough to
avoid introducing page dependencies.  Any ideas?

Shawn

Re: Page activation and navigation

Posted by Shawn Church <sh...@boxity.com>.
Norbi,

Thanks, this worked perfectly.  I've seen PageCallback in the login
example, but I didn't realize it would retain the original page state
(which it does).  I would like to know how this works (and how the
lifecycle of the original page is affected), but it seems to do what I
needed.

The API example doesn't work however, since the page loses the initial
value of _callback between requests.  I had to define this as a
persistent .page property, which did the trick.

Shawn

Posted by Programozás <pr...@hotmail.com>.