Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Vincent <vi...@openindex.io> on 2016/10/17 11:37:55 UTC

Error parsing PDFs

Hi all,

I have some trouble using Tika to parse some PDFs. I crawl them with
Nutch 1.11, using parse-tika. Some documents will get parsed correctly,
but most won't, and the error isn't very clear to me:

org.apache.tika.metadata.PropertyTypeException: xmpMM:DocumentID : SIMPLE
         at org.apache.tika.metadata.Metadata.add(Metadata.java:338)
         at
org.apache.tika.parser.image.xmp.JempboxExtractor.addMetadata(JempboxExtractor.java:199)
         at
org.apache.tika.parser.image.xmp.JempboxExtractor.extractXMPMM(JempboxExtractor.java:145)
         at
org.apache.tika.parser.pdf.PDFParser.extractMetadata(PDFParser.java:216)
         at org.apache.tika.parser.pdf.PDFParser.parse(PDFParser.java:136)
         at
org.apache.nutch.parse.tika.TikaParser.getParse(TikaParser.java:167)
         at
org.apache.nutch.parse.ParseCallable.call(ParseCallable.java:35)
         at
org.apache.nutch.parse.ParseCallable.call(ParseCallable.java:24)
         at
         at
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I tested the document with PDFBox ExtractText, and it works fine.

An example of a failing document is:

https://gemeente.groningen.nl/system/files/1._jaarstukken_groninger_archieven_br_raad.pdf

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Vincent Slot

Re: Error parsing PDFs

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim

On 17 October 2016 at 16:02, Allison, Timothy B. <ta...@mitre.org> wrote:

> Hmmm…Thank you, Julien.  I’m trying to find the exact version of nutch’s
> TikaParser that would result in that stacktrace…I don’t see one where line
> 167 is the call to tika’s parser to parse the pdf…any recommendations?

Weird, me neither.

> I’m at a loss to figure out how Tika would be adding xmpMM:DocumentID
> more than once.  Any ideas?
>

> We could change our code to “set”, and if there are multiples, that would
> overwrite the earlier ids, but there really should only be DocumentID.
>

> Also, any pointers to setting up nutch in Intellij aside from what Google
> returns?  Seems to be non-trivial.

No idea, sorry. I never used Intellij in my life

J.

RE: Error parsing PDFs

--

Open Source Solutions for Text Engineering

http://www.digitalpebble.com<http://www.digitalpebble.com/>

Re: Error parsing PDFs

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
]