Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Paul Lee <pa...@skinnypigeon.com> on 2002/09/13 02:47:13 UTC

PDF "Double Dipping" -- FOP bug?

I know the subject line is pretty stupid, but hell, it's been a long
day.

I have started to use Cocoon to generate HTML and PDF output from a
database.  It works great but I noticed that whenever I generate a PDF
file the same query always get executed twice, while the equivalent HTML
generation uses only one request.  This is especially noticeable as one
of my queries take a minute long.  Cocoon also seem to reprocess the XML
whenever I ask for the PDF transformation - this is evident from the
"double spike" in the processing power usage (I am running Windows 2000
and you can see the two "hills" prominently in the Task Manager)

I am wondering if I am doing anything wrong, but I noticed that it seems
to be doing the same thing even to the hello.pdf example on a fresh,
plain installation of Tomcat/Cocoon.

This leads me to wonder: is this a bug in FOP?  Has anyone seen/solve
this?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

p.s. Tomcat 4.0.4, Cocoon 2.0.3, Windows 2000 & Windows XP, JDK1.4 &
1.3.1

Re: PDF "Double Dipping" -- FOP bug?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
John Austin wrote:
> I have seen the same behaviour in 2.0.3. Pretty annoying when the most
> resource-intensive part of our system has this flaw.

Just nitpicking: it's primarily a flaw in the client (IEx),
requesting the same URL twice or even thrice, *not* a flaw
in Cocoon, FOP, Tomcat or whatever. If the XML is processed
multiple times too, check whether everything is cacheable.

J.Pietschmann

Re: PDF "Double Dipping" -- FOP bug?

Posted by John Austin <jo...@integerservices.no-ip.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Friday 13 September 2002 02:47, Paul Lee wrote:
>. . .I noticed that whenever I generate a PDF
> file the same query always get executed twice
>. . .

Most probably your client is Internet Explorer?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=102836194606677&w=2
contains references to info about this IE bug, which causes it to make two or
sometimes even more HTTP requests for non-HTML content.

--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.

Re: PDF "Double Dipping" -- FOP bug?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Paul Lee wrote:
> Hi everyone thanks for the info!  Yes I am using IE 6 (a mandate,
> unfortunately) and I guess I'll have to write the file out to disk
> first.

Try the "URL ends with .pdf" trick first.

J.Pietschmann

RE: PDF "Double Dipping" -- FOP bug?

Posted by Paul Lee <pa...@skinnypigeon.com>.
Hi everyone thanks for the info!  Yes I am using IE 6 (a mandate,
unfortunately) and I guess I'll have to write the file out to disk
first.

And Alex, sorry if I gave you that disheartening feeling, but actually I
did look for the problem in your FAQ: it just didn't occur to me that
the browser was the culprit and I skipped the title "How do I get my web
based FOP working with Internet Explorer?" promptly.  Rather I was
looking for keywords like "Double Dipping" ;)

Thanks again,

Paul

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.
Hi Paul,

I think this is a known bug when using the PDF viewer in Microsoft IE.

Matthew