Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Adrian Gschwend <kt...@netlabs.org> on 2012/03/22 21:59:05 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_wsgi|fcgid and subversion >= 1.7 issues

Hi group,

I have an interesting problem on my server with mod_wsgi and mod_fcgid,
this is an update of a posting I did on the mod_wsgi list, see
http://groups.google.com/group/modwsgi/browse_thread/thread/f7171b7442965c78#
for the full thread.

The mod_wsgi developers had no explanation for the effect so I crosspost
here with some updates.

I run trac and subversion in the same configuration and on the same
vhost, see
http://ktk.netlabs.org/misc/svn.netlabs.conf for my configuration.

The configuration starts with the SVN repositories residing on /repos
and then configures trac with mod_wsgi. So far this used to work just
fine for many years. As you can see on http://svn.netlabs.org I run a
lot of TRAC repositories for several OSS projects.

A few weeks ago I upgraded subversion on the server to version 1.7,
since then I can still checkout and commit to svn repositories with
clients which are below version 1.7 (I tested 1.6.x), everything works
as expected. However, any subversion client >= 1.7 cannot _commit_
anymore, checkout works as before though.

After dumping with tcpdump I could see the following packet (decoded
TCP stream via wireshark, Subversion 1.7.x client):

--
POST /repos/sandbox/!svn/me HTTP/1.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip

( create-txn )HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:38:39 GMT
Server: Apache

Environment not found
--

full decoded TCP stream: http://pastebin.com/4bAT2TMA
tcpdump: http://ktk.netlabs.org/misc/subversion-commit_17.dmp

This "Environment not found" is definitely an error message from TRAC in
case there is no trac environment found. So for some reason mod_wsgi
hits in at this point instead of the DAV handler. Again, this works just
fine with subversion 1.6.x (it does not do a POST there though):

full decoded TCP stream: http://pastebin.com/X9J3k7kE
tcpdump: http://ktk.netlabs.org/misc/subversion-commit_16.dmp

>From the subversion changelog I can see that they changed the way
subversion interacts with the server:

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html#httpv2

--
Subversion 1.7 offers a simpler HTTP protocol variant that can be used
when connecting to supported servers. This simpler protocol (sometimes

As mentioned in the compatibility table, Subversion 1.7 will only use
HTTPv2 when connecting with a 1.7 (or greater) server, but will
continue to use existing protocols when communicating with earlier
versions of Subversion. Likewise, older clients will only use the old
protocol when connecting to a Subversion server, regardless of
version.
--

So the only explanation I have is that with 1.7 clients subversion
tries to do HTTPv2 and for some reason mod_wsgi decides to take over

I first suspected a bug in mod_wsgi, for that reason I changed the
configuration to mod_fcgid. Unfortunately it behaves exactly like that
so my next guess (with the limited understanding of Apache internals I
have) would be a bug in the internal processing of Apache.

Software versions (running on FreeBSD 8):
ap22-mod_wsgi-3.3_2
apache-2.2.22_5
py26-subversion-1.7.3
subversion-1.7.3
trac-0.12.3
python26-2.6.7_3

content of trac-netlabs.wsgi (looks a bit different for mod_fcgid but as
I said same bug):

--
#!/usr/local/bin/python2.6
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

If someone wants to try committing, there is a sandbox repository which
is world read/writable at:

http://svn.netlabs.org/repos/sandbox/

I'm more than happy to run more tests if someone has some ideas, I ran
out of them.

thanks

Adrian

--
Adrian Gschwend
@ netlabs.org

ktk [a t] netlabs.org
-------
Open Source Project
http://www.netlabs.org

[users@httpd] Re: mod_wsgi|fcgid and subversion >= 1.7 issues

Posted by Adrian Gschwend <kt...@netlabs.org>.
On 22.03.12 21:59, Adrian Gschwend wrote:

> I'm more than happy to run more tests if someone has some ideas, I ran
> out of them.

As no one seems to have an idea on that one, what would be the next
logical step to escalate it? devel mailing list?

thanks

Adrian

--
Adrian Gschwend