Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Kam Kasravi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/20 16:32:18 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC4 as 0.8.1

Hi IPMC Community

The PPMC vote to release Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC4 has passed
successfully.
We would like to now submit this release candidate to the IPMC.

The PPMC vote thread is here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a53ecee5575ec998d757a084ba5c4132691b1a97fd0e6705ab670fbe@%3Cdev.gearpump.apache.org%3E

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/gearpump/0.8.1-incubating/RC4/

The release hash is:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-gearpump.git;a=commit;h=533377fb135807d1f87a8a88c73ab6eb5a6c04c2

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/gearpump/KEYS

The KEYS file is available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/gearpump

For information about the contents of this release see:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-gearpump.git;a=blob;f=CHANGELOG.md;h=8a24bf48066bff8b46316abd9d28cc62aac71095;hb=533377fb135807d1f87a8a88c73ab6eb5a6c04c2

The vote will be open for 72 hours (Saturday, July 22, 2016 at 09:30 PST)

Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
including checking hashes, signatures, build from source, and test.

Please vote:
[ ] +1 Release this package as gearpump-0.8.1
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 Do not release this package because because...

Thanks,
Kam

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC4 as 0.8.1

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi John
Thanks for the review.
>- I ran license dump on the release.  Checked the output from
>output/target/license-reports and it reported several GPL dependencies.
>Can you take a look and perhaps put in overrides for the correct licenses?
For this report it is examining artifacts required to build the binaries. Since this is a source release is this required within the LICENSE?
- One thing I can't find is a way to run rat.
I run it using a convenience script under dev-tools (dev-tools/create_apache_source_release.sh), but it assumes I've checked out rat and made it available.Should all apache projects provide a way to run rat via mvn, sbt, ...?
ThanksKam

    On Monday, July 25, 2016 5:49 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

 Kam,

Apologies for the delay.

A couple of questions about the release.

- I ran license dump on the release.  Checked the output from
output/target/license-reports and it reported several GPL dependencies.
Can you take a look and perhaps put in overrides for the correct licenses?

- In addition, the license dump indicates that there's a dependency on
gearpump 2.11.  I'm assuming its an oddity with how I built the code.

- One thing I can't find is a way to run rat.

John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Kam,

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi IPMC Community

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manu,

As far as I can tell, you can extend a running vote for any period beyond
the minimum. Please take into consideration that people can be very busy
with $jobs, or - given this time of the year (the vacation period etc.)-
 with other aspects regarding life.

That being said, If you - after having extended the vote - didn't attract
the desired outcome, you could always close, reword your initial request
and repost as a new vote.

Best advice ever: keep at it. Don't give up!

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
I am out until the first week of August. Could one of the Gearpump mentors also on the IPMC have a look?

Posted by Manu Zhang <ow...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Jersey is dual licensed CDDL and a transitive dependency from (at least) Hadoop and Spark.

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Justin

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kam Kasravi <ka...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Justin
Again - thanks for your vigilance and time to review RC4.
>All like like there may be license dependancy issues, but I’m not familiar enough with sbt and the project to comment. This "sbt dependencyLicenseInfo | grep GNU” shows several GPL dependancies (may be duplicated?). It may be that these items are dual licensed with a license >that is comparable with the Apache license?
[Kam] This analyzes jars required to build the binary artifacts - so my assumption is that it is not relevant to release just the source?
>I also notice that you have release downloads on your web site. [3] Please make it clear that these are not Apache releases. I assume this is a work in progress but you might also want to look at the branding requirements at the same time and fix those as well. [4][Kam] Is this a requirement to release? We were planning on adding branding (as well as your suggestion above) once we release 0.8.1. (The branding issues was noted by John a few weeks ago). If this is a blocking issue we can update the site now. Note - the gearpump site is under https://github.com/apache/incubator-gearpump-site and is not bundled with the 0.8.1 source release.
>- there a few files with incorrect Apache headers [2] (also brought up last RC)[Kam] I will add the full header to  worker.js and rerun rat.
>LICENSE is still missing, in general anything that is bundled needs to be added to LICENSE. [1]
>- pygments CSS[Kam] Are you referring to ./docs/css/pygments-default.css? This isn't embedding any pygments source code - just defaults for the gearpump site.
>- normalize (in bootstrap)[Kam] I missed this (as you also mention in your vimeo video) and will add a licenses/LICENSE-normalize.txt and related header in LICENSE
>- polypill (in moderniser)
[Kam] I will add a licenses/LICENSE-polyfill.txt and related header in LICENSE
>Also What happen to the binary files that were in the the last RC? Has the creative commons licensing issue been resolved?
Based on just releasing source there are no CCL related artifacts included in the .tgz.
ThanksKam

    On Monday, July 25, 2016 9:59 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

 Hi,

Looks much better than the last release candidate, however still +0 (binding) due to LICENSE issues, the items brought up for the last RC have not been addressed and possible GPL dependancies.

All like like there may be license dependancy issues, but I’m not familiar enough with sbt and the project to comment. This "sbt dependencyLicenseInfo | grep GNU” shows several GPL dependancies (may be duplicated?). It may be that these items are dual licensed with a license that is comparable with the Apache license?

I also notice that you have release downloads on your web site. [3] Please make it clear that these are not Apache releases. I assume this is a work in progress but you might also want to look at the branding requirements at the same time and fix those as well. [4]

I checked:
- incubating in release name
- signatures and hashes good
- LICENSE is better, but still missing bundled items brought up last RC
- there a few files with incorrect Apache headers [2] (also brought up last RC)
- can compile from source

LICENSE is still missing, in general anything that is bundled needs to be added to LICENSE. [1]
- pygments CSS
- normalize (in bootstrap)
- polypill (in moderniser)

One issue here is that you’re not following the terms of the bundled licenses (also brought up last RC) Just mentioning the license in LICENSE is not enough, the full text of the license needs to be included somewhere, usually this is in the header, but if it’s not there you need to include it. I see you have added some files to the licenses directory but having "Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>” in them doesn’t really tell the whole story does it :-)

Also What happen to the binary files that were in the the last RC? Has the creative commons licensing issue been resolved?

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle
2. gearpump-0.8.1-RC4-incubating/services/dashboard/views/cluster/workers/worker/worker.js
3. http://gearpump.apache.org/downloads.html
4. http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

Re: [VOTE] Apache Gearpump (incubating) 0.8.1-RC4 as 0.8.1