Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Amy Lindberg <am...@appcore.com> on 2014/06/25 23:50:28 UTC

CloudStack infographic

I am thinking about creating an inforgraphic that includes information
about CloudStack. Below is a list of items that I could like to include.
Anyone know where I can gather this info?

   1. Release date and version since the project started
   2. Number of countries using CloudStack
   3. Number of contributors
   4. Number of lines of code
   5. Uses for the platform (e-commerce, media, industrial)
   6. Larger enterprise using CloudStack (I know that Giles compiled a
   list, is there any other that I should include?

Anyone else have suggestions on what to include? Thanks for the input.

*Amy Lindberg*
Director of Marketing | Appcore - the business of cloud computing®

Office +1.800.735.7104  |  Fax +1.515.612.7861
Direct +1.515.612.7792  |  Mobile +1.515.250.7003
amy.lindberg@appcore.com <am...@appcore.com>  |  www.appcore.com

The information in this message is intended for the named recipients only.
It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking
of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, do not print it or
disseminate it or its contents. In such event, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete the e-mail file immediately thereafter. Thank you.

Re: CloudStack infographic

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@gmail.com>.
Looking forward to the infographics Amy! Let me share some stats below,
inline;

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 6:06 AM, Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>
wrote:

> That is fantastic Amy!
>
> Some specific comments below:
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 04:50:28PM -0500, Amy Lindberg wrote:
> > I am thinking about creating an inforgraphic that includes information
> > about CloudStack. Below is a list of items that I could like to include.
> > Anyone know where I can gather this info?
> >

> >    1. Release date and version since the project started
>
> Hmmm...  that's a really good request.  Here is the list for *Apache*
> CloudStack. Remember that this was a commercial product from cloud.com
> first, then an OSS project at Citrix and now at Apache.  Perhaps someone
> from Citrix would be able to offer a listing of the pre-ASF releases
> (significant vs. bug fix) to Amy?
>
> Here's the Apache CloudStack list:
>
> 4.0.0-incubating - Nov 6, 2012
> 4.0.1-incubating - Feb 12, 2013
> 4.0.2 - April 24, 2013
> 4.1.0 - June 5, 2013
> 4.1.1 - Aug 6, 2013
> 4.2.0 - Oct 1, 2012
> 4.2.1 - Jan 10, 2014
> 4.3.0 - Mar 25, 2014
>

> >    2. Number of countries using CloudStack
>
> That's exceptionally hard to know, since we can only really track some
> of our download activity.  That said, there's discussion about trying to
> pull together some details from the package download logs.

Difficult indeed, but recently ShapeBlue shared list of companies using
CloudStack. Maybe you can use this information somehow to show diversity:
http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack/are-these-people-really-all-using-cloudstack

> >    3. Number of contributors
>
> Contributors is another difficult question.  We can say that there are
> 290 different email addresses listed as contributors to the *code* right
> now.  I'd use the term "code contributors", because honestly...  you're
> a contributor as well here (just with marketing support, not code)!

One way could be to count unique names (not email addresses) that sent
email to all our mailing lists?

> >    4. Number of lines of code
>
> We're actually debating how to measure this correctly right now.  There
> are some files in the codebase that need to be excluded, because they
> are auto-generated...  I believe Rohit did some better line counting
> recently.  Rohit, care to share?

Sure Chip. One may use Ohloh for this as well:
http://www.ohloh.net/p/CloudStack/analyses/latest/languages_summary

It's debatable what we should consider as lines of code so let me share all
of them and how I calculate them:

- Total lines of text/code in our code base is about 2.3M lines this
includes code, docs, xmls, license etc. [1]
- Language specific: [2] (we can show it as pie chart maybe?)
  - XML: 94k LOC (lines of code)
  - Properties files (config): 23k LOC
  - HTML: 900 LOC
  - CSS: 23k LOC
  - JavaScript: 130k LOC
  - Groovy: 2.5k LOC
  - SQL: 19k LOC
  - Shell script: 20k LOC
  - C# (.NET): 57k LOC
  - Python: 167k LOC
  - Java: 1.75M LOC

- The "awsapi" artifact is about 1.04M lines of code, in a recent poll (
http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/ssraym/who-uses-awsapi-with-cloudstack-in-prouduction/view)
we found that it's much popular or perhaps used in production

What I consider is the *real* number of lines of code = All
(Java+Python+Shell+SQL) minus (headers + comments + blank-lines + docs +
AWSAPI) = 716k LOC [3]

In the above if we remove tests, the number comes down to: 542k LOC

How to calculate it:
[1] git ls-files | xargs cat | wc -l
[2] git ls-files | grep <lang file extension>$ | xargs cat | wc -l
[3] git ls-files | egrep "(py|java|sql|sh)$" | grep -v \^awsapi | xargs cat
| grep -v \^\# | grep -v \^\/\/ | grep -v "^$" | wc -l

Regards.

Re: CloudStack infographic

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
That is fantastic Amy!

Re: CloudStack infographic

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Here is a thread from november where we talked about this:

http://markmail.org/thread/5nwfalvwmhzlkpyu

numbers would need to be updated...

Re: CloudStack infographic

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Yes, I do
We may have to augment the survey results with known sites

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541<tel:+44%2020%203603%200541> | M: +44 796 111 2055<tel:+44%20796%20111%202055>
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>

Re: CloudStack infographic

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Re: CloudStack infographic

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, Amy!

Really, really helpful. I'm crazy about great (info)graphics.

As you may have seen from recent list traffic, I've been digging through a lot of the project's background (for the tearsheet, etc.) and can help get you some of the items below. Naturally, it will need to be sanity-checked by other list members in case I've missed something (no ego here).

I'll get back to you before start of business (US) tomorrow.

Cheers,
Sally

= = = = =
vox +1 617 921 8656