Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Co...@hydro.qc.ca on 2004/12/02 19:59:54 UTC

Parent is null ?

We will be releasing our first JSF application to clients for testing soon,
and I am worried
about the ubiquitous "parent is null" message (aka:
javax.faces.FacesException: parent is null?).
This exception, sometimes, appears to mask the real culprit. For instance, I
had a NullPointerException
in a custom converter, but it took me a long time to find because the only
thing that showed up in
the log was the "parent is null" message with an innacurate stacktrace (I
never saw my converter in the stack).
This has happened with ClassNotFoundException's as well...The only way to
track what is really going on when this
exception is thrown is with a debugger....something we will not have when we
will be deploying to a testing environment.

Also, this exception and message get thrown in many other contexts that mask
all kinds of other errors.

Are we the only ones stumped by this catch-all exception ?
Can additional info be printed along with this message ?
Is it because we are not implementing correct error handling ?

BTW: We are really confident about using myfaces in production, as I have
been following the project for months
         and see the great work so many have contributed. My only real
concern is that we get a fatal error on a production server
         somewhere and that all I see in the log is
"javax.faces.FacesException: parent is null?".

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Re: Parent is null ?

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.
The reason for "parent is null?" is due to the JSP and JSF hierarchies
getting out of synch because of an exception.  If you're using Tiles
or some other way to dynamically include content, the error will not
propagate all the way out to yoru main page.

The way we have resolved the problem is to turn up logging to debug.
This allows Tiles to spit out the proper stack trace (but won't
prevent "parent is null?").  Of course, this could mean that you spit
out a lot more logging, so another possibility would be to change
Tiles so that it prints the exception stacktrace at a higher logging
level, and then recompile.

--
If you don't have a GMail account, I probably have 5 invites.  Just ask!
-Heath Borders-Wing